Fuel wood price comparisons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

North of 60

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2007
Yukon Canada
Hope the scan & re-size worked here.
Thought Id share this with you out of our classifieds. Wood is either spruce or pine. @ $5 a gallon for fuel oil it shows how
it dictates wood prices. Even in the land of plenty. If anything this post will answer that yes you can burn pine and actually pay for it. :red:

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 560
Ouch! Down here they give Pine away for free and a cord of Oak is $150. I'm burning free Pine right now. A buddy of mine just told me heating oil dropped below $3.00 per gl.

Bigg_Redd said:
If I lived in Yukon I'd cut all my own limbs off before I payed for firewood.

I get 95% of my own fire wood. This year I was working out of town alot so I did get a load of log length to stay ahead of the seasoning game. It works out substantially less. I live here so I can live the dream for fishing so removing my limbs is not an option. :p Hard to play a fish without them. For some people that do pay this, do it so their limbs dont freeze off.

I cut and process my own wood so we are pretty careful about the limb removal. The only wood I've ever bought was a couple of loads of log length a few years ago when the county had their ash removal contract active, this cost me $200 per load 3.5 to 4 cords per load. Log loads are now pushing $100 per cord this year. I get all my wood from selective Craiglist pickups on the way home from work in the city or cutting the local farmers tree lines. The adds I see are between $180 and $225 a cord in the metro area, out by me $150 a cord is pretty standard. One of my buddy's is telling me there is this local retiree that is selling an eight foot pickup load for $40 a load, you pickup, that's about 120 a cord. The wood that he got was all ash.

For once we seem to be ahead of things up here in VT! Of course it has to be on rising wood prices :( Log length is running from $100 (if you can find it) to $140 per cord on 6 cord loads. Cut and split firewood is now around $225 green (if you can find any). It has blown my mind what "dry" wood is selling for.......... $350+ per cord!!!!!!!! I have been picking up all I can to help but had to get a load of logs. Still much cheaper than oil. The real bummer is that I have a 50 acre wood lot in Maine but way to cost prohibitive to bring it back here other than trips home to visit my father and throw a pick up load on when I come back. At least I am able to go over every spring to cut his wood for him and keep him all set and ready with his bloved Jotul. :)

What the heck is waffle wood (see the ad on the bottom left)?

myzamboni said:
What the heck is waffle wood (see the ad on the bottom left)?

not sure but i here it likes Maples trees for company :)

Status
Not open for further replies.