Fujitsu mini split opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have my (Mitsu) condenser located at the gable end of my (solar panel covered) roof - so all snow goes to the neighboring side of my home. And it's located *not* on a pad, but on a steel stand, i.e. 1 ft off the ground.
That does mean I have to shovel around it if we get more than 1 ft of snow - or less snow but a lot of wind, as the location does often get a drift. When such weather is present it (on Long Island) often means humid weather around freezing temperatures, so prime conditions for frequent de-icing of the condenser. I hate the sound of that inside my home, as it equates to wasted kWh to my OCD self. So I run the wood stove and shovel around the condenser when needed.

I never understood the pad-positioning of these things; the closer to the ground the more rain can spatter up sand in the heat exchanger fins. I don't like that. Hence my insistence ("no, not necessary" is what the installer said) on mounting the thing on a steel stand (which is off-the-shelf for these things).

Reactions: Wildflush
I have a hip-type roof, so I don't have any side of the building that doesn't shed the water/snow. Fortunately, I have a 3' overhang so I don't need to protect my condenser. It is on a metal stand, so it is off the ground - but that ground stays bare throughout the winter anyway.

I had a 24k Fujitsu hyper heat condenser, with 2 heads installed June of 2021: 15k in the living room and 12k in my home office. On paper that is overkilll in my 950 sq/ft house. But the office gets wicked hot WFH with all the computers/monitors and other equipment going (a 5k window unit couldn't keep the 9x9 room cool even with doors closed). 40' of the house faces west and after about 1pm in summer can rise in temp about 10* in an hour. The 12k window unit I had in the living room was working super hard to keep the temp below 80*s by late afternoon - even closing off the bedrooms and bathroom. The Fujitsu system has worked well for me thru two summers with no issues. As with anything, sometimes units built on the Friday before a long weekend are crap

However, I also haven't used the system for heat this year (which is okay - I didn't have it installed for heat - it's just a nice bonus). With electric prices doubling last summer, I've used my pellet stoves for heat exclusively. Last winter I used the system for heat during most of the season and it worked well. But I also never used it during the coldest days, or super windy day since I have pellet stoves for a reason.

Reactions: Wildflush
i wire these units i do fujitsu and licensed in samsung and daikin i have done mitsu's they all have in their directions where to and how to mount and run them. the samsung units tell what type of surge suppressor to install. they even give model numbers and where to put them. if you have a ductless split and don't have a surge suppressor on it install one asap, most surges come from the house. when something heavy turn off there is a in rush of current and voltage. if the contractor would follow the install instructions there would be no problems. so far i have been installing samsung units and fujitsu units both are being installed to the letter of the directions. been installing samsung units now 4 years no problems. fujitsu units for about 7 years and only had one problem unit

Reactions: Wildflush and EbS-P
i wire these units i do fujitsu and licensed in samsung and daikin i have done mitsu's they all have in their directions where to and how to mount and run them. the samsung units tell what type of surge suppressor to install. they even give model numbers and where to put them. if you have a ductless split and don't have a surge suppressor on it install one asap, most surges come from the house. when something heavy turn off there is a in rush of current and voltage. if the contractor would follow the install instructions there would be no problems. so far i have been installing samsung units and fujitsu units both are being installed to the letter of the directions. been installing samsung units now 4 years no problems. fujitsu units for about 7 years and only had one problem unit
That’s great you are having no issues with the Samsung because their appliances have a terrible track record in the industry. Just knowing that I would have been leery putting a Samsung in. Good to know about the surge suppressor. Need to check what Fujitsu calls for.

I have one hung on the side of a shed, and the other sitting on the ground outside my back door. Neither have been any issue in up to 2 - 3 feet of snow, ever. They're running when it's cold out, such that they keep their own path clear as the snow is falling, whether they're on the ground or suspended on the wall. What is a more frequent problem here is a our ice storms, freezing rain that causes stalactite-like icicles to form in and around the fan shroud, which really do a number on the fan blades if you don't go out and clear them. I've also had grilles freeze over in driving storms of freezing rain, both suspended and on the ground, and an issue no overhang will resolve (unless you have one that blocks the nearly-horizontal freezing rain we get in serious winter storms).

Can you give an example, part number, link, etc. for one you'd recommend?

Anyone have any experience with the Fujitsu hyper heat heat pumps? We finally got a quote from a good installer that is within our price range and they want to install 3 Fujitsu multi zone hyper heats to 8 indoor units.
I can verify. We have a couple of friends locally that have had Fujitsu mini-split systems installed for about 10 yrs now. They like them a lot. One caveat - our rural power can be spiky. One of the units had a control board blow due to a surge. They put surge protection on the circuit powering the mini-split.

I can verify. We have a couple of friends locally that have had Fujitsu mini-split systems installed for about 10 yrs now. They like them a lot. One caveat - our rural power can be spiky. One of the units had a control board blow due to a surge. They put surge protection on the circuit powering the mini-split.
Definitely looking into adding a surge. Guess we have been on borrowed time so to speak for 5 years now.

I have one hung on the side of a shed, and the other sitting on the ground outside my back door. Neither have been any issue in up to 2 - 3 feet of snow, ever. They're running when it's cold out, such that they keep their own path clear as the snow is falling, whether they're on the ground or suspended on the wall. What is a more frequent problem here is a our ice storms, freezing rain that causes stalactite-like icicles to form in and around the fan shroud, which really do a number on the fan blades if you don't go out and clear them. I've also had grilles freeze over in driving storms of freezing rain, both suspended and on the ground, and an issue no overhang will resolve (unless you have one that blocks the nearly-horizontal freezing rain we get in serious winter storms).
Luckily we have not had that problem with ice forming around the condenser grille or fan blade. The fan blade in the Fujitsu is also a super tough composite material which is extremely reliable in the harshest outdoor environments.

Luckily we have not had that problem with ice forming around the condenser grille or fan blade. The fan blade in the Fujitsu is also a super tough composite material which is extremely reliable in the harshest outdoor environments.
Yeah, the fan blade on the Mitsu is plenty tough, haven't had any breakage issues. But it's still disconcerting when you open the back door and hear what sounds like baseball cards in your bicycle wheel spokes, coming from the minisplit unit... for those old enough to get the reference.

When you guys up in MA are getting all that nice snow, we're getting freezing rain and ice. I suppose you must get the same in November and April, as we get in December or March. I think we're about 2-3 weeks warmer than you on the annual cycles, but otherwise very similar patterns between Philly and Boston.

Lol, I cut pieces of carboard boxes to add the motorcycle sound :)
Baseball cards (we did not have those, but playing cards are similar, I presume) were too puny to get a "real American sound" (i.e. chopper rather than some Japanese sewing machine sound...)

Baseball cards (we did not have those, but playing cards are similar, I presume) were too puny to get a "real American sound" (i.e. chopper rather than some Japanese sewing machine sound...)
😂

You gotta wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars (1990's values) worth of baseball cards got chewed up by 9-yo kids wanting to pretend they had a motorcycle.

Of course, if most of them weren't destroyed, I guess those left wouldn't be worth nearly what they are.

Baseball cards worked but I also have a recollection of us kids tying both ends of an inflated balloon to the frame by the spokes for a good motor sound.

Reactions: stoveliker
You gotta wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars (1990's values) worth of baseball cards got chewed up by 9-yo kids wanting to pretend they had a motorcycle.

Of course, if most of them weren't destroyed, I guess those left wouldn't be worth nearly what they are.
Now I have to check on baseball card values since I collected sets and individual cards back in 70’s/80’s. Maybe a few cords of wood there!

Reactions: Ashful