Full pallet storage solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
Need some expert advise. I want to be able to store 3 full skids without unloading by hand. You know, work smarter not harder. I have a large unused front concrete patio. The area i want to utilize is 12'wide x 7' deep. I want to be able to have the truck deliver to my patio, use a pallet jack to move full skids into shed structure without having to unwrap and handle bags until i need them. Time is money and none of us are getting any younger. Does anyone do this? I dont want to put them in my barn and have to carry them all the way to the house when the patio is steps away from the front door.

Our pellets are outside still wrapped in plastic. Our neighbors also have there’s outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How smooth is the surface? Doesn't take a whole lot sometimes to stop a pallet jack.
Brushed concrete and flat.plus i can pull that sucker with my honda pioneer if i have to...

Our pellets are outside still wrapped in plastic. Our neighbors also have there’s outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im most likely going to store outside this winter but really want a shed type structure when i buy discounted in the spring. Broke now after buying the stove and fuel!

I store mine in the carport. C0-op delivers them on a flat bed truck in wrapped pallets, back truck in to near location stored, driver and I just restack in place. Driver up on truck removes wrap, ses bags on bed edge, I stack just like they are stacked on pallet, 3 & 2 per layer opposite. Two tons restacked in 15 minutes. When he gets all of pallet load on edge of bed, he jumps down and we finish together. He takes pallets away unless I need one.

Can a forklift get to it?
The piggyback lift on the back of the hd truck can drive right thru the yard and up to the edge of the concrete patio slab. Then i will pallet jack them into storage structure. Thinking about building 4.5'x12'x 5'tall lean to shed on one side of patio and rolling skids in back to back. Since I would need a 10w x8deep prefab unit tp stagger 3 pallets in a triangle pattern to fit. Lots of wasted space that way tho.

For those of you storing them outside, do you put a tarp over the factory wrap for insurance??

For those of you storing them outside, do you put a tarp over the factory wrap for insurance??
I got a large heavy duty tarp to put over mine when I had 11 tons outside (took 2 years tfor me to use them up). The pellets stayed in fantastic shape that way. However, if you cover all pallets with one tarp, it is possible rodents or bugs could decide that is a cozy place to stay out of the weather. I only had issues with the last pallet I had left, ants moved in. However, they did stay outside the bags so I just had to brush them and their eggs away when I was ready to move them.

I put mine in Bay of Building. Weather comes from the other side of the building. Snow falls off roof and make snow wall to the side. Skidsteer puts them there in Sep. I use Tractor to get them out or Wheel Barrel (9 Bags per Buck on Tractor). Move to back porch and cover with tarp. The Pallets are N Idaho Energy Logs Pellets. Which are Triple Wrapped. They sit outside before buying. Here is the bay when I used it for Firewood. I plan on storing my snowblower in it in Spring. Building is 20x30 (W&D) with 10' Bays on each Side. Easily hold 6 tons of pellets. Down to 4 right now. With 1 More on Back Porch

Attachments

• Full pallet storage solution
    DSCN0058.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 110
I put mine in Bay of Building. Weather comes from the other side of the building. Snow falls off roof and make snow wall to the side. Skidsteer puts them there in Sep. I use Tractor to get them out or Wheel Barrel (9 Bags per Buck on Tractor). Move to back porch and cover with tarp. The Pallets are N Idaho Energy Logs Pellets. Which are Triple Wrapped. They sit outside before buying. Here is the bay when I used it for Firewood. I plan on storing my snowblower in it in Spring. Building is 20x30 (W&D) with 10' Bays on each Side. Easily hold 6 tons of pellets. Down to 4 right now. With 1 More on Back Porch
Very nice! I would have to have doors since my building would have to face west.

For the OP, I am far too lazy to re-stack LOL. I take delivery with a moffet truck around to the back of my house as my stove is in a walk-out finished basement room. From there I hand-truck a stack indoors when the weather is clear, keeping 6-8 bags near the stove. I built a little ramp to get up to the doorway, I was being macho with 5/trip but it was hurting the threshold (and my back ;)) so I put a length of 2x3 on it and reduced to 4 bags.

I use these (click here) and they have been great. I did take it a step farther and added heavy zippers on a couple of them, I probably won't do that again though as it's only fussy for the first couple trips on a fresh pallet. You want to place your fresh skid on top of an old pallet, makes it easier to keep the cover from getting iced to the ground. Don't try two old pallets though, as that lets enough wind get under them to make the most bizarre kite you ever owned. I keep a wood log on top to help avoid that.

I was startled to find mice had eaten through and nested in them while folded-up and stored for summer. Sheesh.

HTH,
- Jeff

jeff, that is awesome! Gonna order after the holidays.