Full & Part-time Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cascade Failure said:
Let's face it...it's NOT natural to light a fire in the middle of a home we (many of us at least) still owe several dozen mortgage payments on.

I would be nervous if I didn’t know that the wood heating system (hearth & flue) was properly installed and up to modern codes. You have to keep in mind that people have been heating their homes with a “fire in the middle of the house†for many hundred, if not thousands of years. It’s only in the last century that a larger population of people, living in modern parts of the world, have come to rely on automated heat delivery systems like oil, gas or electricity. However even those systems are not idiot proof. How many homes burn down every year from faulty electrical appliances or leaky gas connections?

I’ve never been more than cautious about leaving my wood stove unattended, whether I’m going to bed or going to work (or both ;-) ). I put the same “caution†into making sure my coffee maker is unplugged, or my cooking stove is turned off when leaving the house.

The biggest danger from wood stoves is not how they operate, but how people operate around them. Lots of incidental fires happen from people doing things like hanging cloths over wood stoves to dry, or kids throwing blankets or toys on the stove. I’ve even heard of a dog dragging a couch pillow in behind a stove.

That’s all I have to say about that. :smirk:

Cascade Failure said:
Let's face it...it's NOT natural to light a fire in the middle of a home we (many of us at least) still owe several dozen mortgage payments on.

It may not be natural for some folks but not for all. For example, I was probably 10 years of age or more before I learned that everyone did not heat with wood or coal. Even our schoolhouse was heated with both wood and coal. Seemed quite natural for me.

Rcrozier,
Don't know that anyone addressed the part of your question that asked about how much wood used when burning part-time. So, here is my answer on that. I am a part-time wood burner, burning as much as I can on nights and weekends. This was my first winter burning and I went through about 1-1 1/2 cords in my 2300 sq. ft. closed floor plan house.

As far as burning when not at home, I am not ready for that yet. Not sure I ever will be. To me, its just not worth taking the chance. Its not the house burning down I'm so concerned with, but I have three dogs that are home all day and I just can't bear to think of losing them just to save a few bucks. I can live with the furnace coming on and spending a few bucks for oil. I know that goes against the grain of most of what you've heard here, but I thought I should just add my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jaugust, thanks for answering the part-time burning question. Our goal is to burn part-time this winter season, and then hopefully burn full time next season if we're ready. My wife was raised as a part-timer and I with oil, so it will definitely be a change. I will have 2.5 cord ready for my single level 1,700 sq. ft. house with an open floor plan.

Wow another wonderful thread! Thanks for all the advice thus far. I too have been thinking through whether I want to leave the stove unattended while at work or not once the colder weather comes.

Previously with our open factory built fireplace I would NEVER leave the thing unattended even when I was inside the house and wide awake! I mean I seriously stayed within eye-shot of that thing at all times from fear about how hazardous it was. Yes, I'm a worry wort but seriously I think anyone could argue that those things are dan-ger-ous if left unattended.

Once our stove is installed however I am already determined to gradually get experienced enough to run the stove while we're asleep because I have several smoke detectors throughout the house, there are fire extinguishers at every level, and I'll also have some of those stove-specific fire extinguishers within an arm's reach of our stove. So, my thought there is that if something happens I would know about it almost right away and could respond almost right away whereas with running the stove when away for any reason (errands, school, work whatever) I would not necessarily know about it right away and therefore could not necessarily respond to it right away.

I don't know now if I'm over-analyzing and over-worrying this! Are the experts that do true 24/7 burning really saying that nothing has ever happened that they had to respond to? I guess I thought that there was "always something" that could conceivably happen that would require a response (such as strong changes in draft, all sorts of situations that could cause "smoking", anything that went wrong with the stove through usage, etc.)? I also thought that 99% of these things are pretty easily solved by simple actions such as simple adjustments to the controls or simply safely putting out the fire as fast as possible if something indeed does go wrong with the stove. So that's where I was thinking that unattended usage was still a no-no.

If you all could answer whatever has happened that required a response, what the response was, and what would have happened if you were not right there to respond, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Since this thread is all about stove operation, and really not about wood, I'm moving it from the Wood Shed to the Hearth Room. Post on! Rick

Stax said:
Jaugust, thanks for answering the part-time burning question. Our goal is to burn part-time this winter season, and then hopefully burn full time next season if we're ready. My wife was raised as a part-timer and I with oil, so it will definitely be a change. I will have 2.5 cord ready for my single level 1,700 sq. ft. house with an open floor plan.

I would purchase or scrounge up another cord. The Declaration does have the tendency to chew through a decent amount of wood.

turbocruiser said:
Are the experts that do true 24/7 burning really saying that nothing has ever happened that they had to respond to? I guess I thought that there was "always something" that could conceivably happen that would require a response (such as strong changes in draft, all sorts of situations that could cause "smoking", anything that went wrong with the stove through usage, etc.)?

The only thing I have experienced in 5 years of 7 month 24/7 burning, and it has happened twice, is a log rolling into and cracking the glass. While it wasn't the end of the world from a safety standpoint and wasn't discovered until we returned home from work many hours later, the glass panels were over $100 and the only ones available locally came out of the demo on the showroom floor. This happened in a stuffed full medium sized stove loaded EW. It was replaced with a large stove that loads NS.

SolarAndWood said:
turbocruiser said:
Are the experts that do true 24/7 burning really saying that nothing has ever happened that they had to respond to? I guess I thought that there was "always something" that could conceivably happen that would require a response (such as strong changes in draft, all sorts of situations that could cause "smoking", anything that went wrong with the stove through usage, etc.)?

The only thing I have experienced in 5 years of 7 month 24/7 burning, and it has happened twice, is a log rolling into and cracking the glass. While it wasn't the end of the world from a safety standpoint and wasn't discovered until we returned home from work many hours later, the glass panels were over $100 and the only ones available locally came out of the demo on the showroom floor. This happened in a stuffed full medium sized stove loaded EW. It was replaced with a large stove that loads NS.

That was either a hell of a roll or the glass was already weakened.

firefighterjake said:
Rcrozier said:
Were you nervous the first time you lit a fire and then left for work?

Anyone that isn't a little bit nervous would worry me more than the person who just fires up the stove for the first time and takes off without a care in the world . . . it's a good thing to be a little worried at first as it helps you develop safe habits and burning techniques.

I loved the responsibility I had the first time I laid the fire and lit it at my parents house.

I must have been about 11 or 12 when I was allowed to chop wood for kindling.

But the first time I lit my fire at my own home I kept a very close eye on it.

Even last year, when I lit our new woodburner for the first time, I watched it for ages.

Not sure if that was nerves, or just the incredible happiness that I had at last switched from an open fire to a woodburner.

I have never yet stacked the woodburner to full and just walked off and left it though.......

If I'm going out, I always make sure it's been burning for a while and cruising gently.......just in case ;-)

BrowningBAR said:
That was either a hell of a roll or the glass was already weakened.

Both times were in January when the stove was always hot. Both times my wife loaded the stove when I wasn't around. Let's just say sometimes she loaded that thing like a burn barrel and used the lid to compress the load :red:

turbocruiser said:
Wow another wonderful thread! Thanks for all the advice thus far. I too have been thinking through whether I want to leave the stove unattended while at work or not once the colder weather comes.

Previously with our open factory built fireplace I would NEVER leave the thing unattended even when I was inside the house and wide awake! I mean I seriously stayed within eye-shot of that thing at all times from fear about how hazardous it was. Yes, I'm a worry wort but seriously I think anyone could argue that those things are dan-ger-ous if left unattended.

Once our stove is installed however I am already determined to gradually get experienced enough to run the stove while we're asleep because I have several smoke detectors throughout the house, there are fire extinguishers at every level, and I'll also have some of those stove-specific fire extinguishers within an arm's reach of our stove. So, my thought there is that if something happens I would know about it almost right away and could respond almost right away whereas with running the stove when away for any reason (errands, school, work whatever) I would not necessarily know about it right away and therefore could not necessarily respond to it right away.

I don't know now if I'm over-analyzing and over-worrying this! Are the experts that do true 24/7 burning really saying that nothing has ever happened that they had to respond to? I guess I thought that there was "always something" that could conceivably happen that would require a response (such as strong changes in draft, all sorts of situations that could cause "smoking", anything that went wrong with the stove through usage, etc.)? I also thought that 99% of these things are pretty easily solved by simple actions such as simple adjustments to the controls or simply safely putting out the fire as fast as possible if something indeed does go wrong with the stove. So that's where I was thinking that unattended usage was still a no-no.

If you all could answer whatever has happened that required a response, what the response was, and what would have happened if you were not right there to respond, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Turbo, with the fire extinguishers and smoke detectors you have, that does not mean you are worried, it just means you are doing things right. One thing that has always struck me is that most folks have a furnace in their home and it is usually in the basement where one usually does not spend much time. Yet, even though that furnace has a bigger fire than a wood stove, it is the wood stove they worry about the most! Perhaps it is just that it is something different whereas I grew up with wood heat and it just seems natural to me.

Nevertheless, we do indeed keep a close watch on our stove when it is burning. But we do not let that stop us from going about our day as natural as possible. If we both need to be outdoors, maybe back in the woods cutting wood in the winter, we do not worry about the stove. We simply always double check the stove before leaving the house. The same thing if we have to go to the city. We make sure the fire is going good and we have the draft set low like we normally do and just go without worry.

So what has required a response? I can remember a few times when I was a young lad and whoever put wood in the stove forgot about it and left the draft open. Thankfully there were several of us there and it didn't take long for someone to respond and simply close the draft and damper. I also remember one time that I was the culprit and we had this old smoke dragon and some poor wood. I had the ash door open and even though I was right by the stove, we were deep in a conversation and suddenly I realized I forgot the ash door but the stove was clicking and snapping telling me to take care of things. No damage done in any of those times I mentioned but it is a wake up call for sure.

As for chimney fires, in our 50+ years of wood burning we have never experienced a chimney fire although I have seen some at other people's homes. Again, this is one of the biggest reasons I preach about having good fuel and having it on hand for 2-3 years so it has a good time to dry.

btw, in case you did not see a recent post, I have some white ash that was dead or dieing when it was cut during the winter of 2008-2009. The wood was split and stacked in April. It was stacked at 54" high. I measured that stack yesterday and it measures 45 1/4". That shrinkage is due 100% from the drying of the wood. Losing that moisture shrinks the piles that much. Just think now what might happen if one tried to burn that wood before the moisture was out. And no, all the moisture is not out of the wood as you won't get wood that dry. What % is it? I have no idea but will tell you that wood will burn like a dream this winter.

We burn 24/7 for a good 7 months a year. To this day, I'm still a little "obsessive/compulsive" about checking the stove door before bed, or before leaving the house unattended. The bottom line, however - the fire can't get out of the box. If we're leaving, or at night, I'll get it going good, and then choke the air way back - usually about 1/2 hour before leaving/bedtime and keep an eye on it to make sure it's "levelled out". If your going to have a runaway fire, it will usually happen shortly after you load the stove.

Backwoods Savage said:
turbocruiser said:

Turbo, with the fire extinguishers and smoke detectors you have, that does not mean you are worried, it just means you are doing things right. One thing that has always struck me is that most folks have a furnace in their home and it is usually in the basement where one usually does not spend much time. Yet, even though that furnace has a bigger fire than a wood stove, it is the wood stove they worry about the most! Perhaps it is just that it is something different whereas I grew up with wood heat and it just seems natural to me.

Nevertheless, we do indeed keep a close watch on our stove when it is burning. But we do not let that stop us from going about our day as natural as possible. If we both need to be outdoors, maybe back in the woods cutting wood in the winter, we do not worry about the stove. We simply always double check the stove before leaving the house. The same thing if we have to go to the city. We make sure the fire is going good and we have the draft set low like we normally do and just go without worry.

So what has required a response? I can remember a few times when I was a young lad and whoever put wood in the stove forgot about it and left the draft open. Thankfully there were several of us there and it didn't take long for someone to respond and simply close the draft and damper. I also remember one time that I was the culprit and we had this old smoke dragon and some poor wood. I had the ash door open and even though I was right by the stove, we were deep in a conversation and suddenly I realized I forgot the ash door but the stove was clicking and snapping telling me to take care of things. No damage done in any of those times I mentioned but it is a wake up call for sure.

As for chimney fires, in our 50+ years of wood burning we have never experienced a chimney fire although I have seen some at other people's homes. Again, this is one of the biggest reasons I preach about having good fuel and having it on hand for 2-3 years so it has a good time to dry.

btw, in case you did not see a recent post, I have some white ash that was dead or dieing when it was cut during the winter of 2008-2009. The wood was split and stacked in April. It was stacked at 54" high. I measured that stack yesterday and it measures 45 1/4". That shrinkage is due 100% from the drying of the wood. Losing that moisture shrinks the piles that much. Just think now what might happen if one tried to burn that wood before the moisture was out. And no, all the moisture is not out of the wood as you won't get wood that dry. What % is it? I have no idea but will tell you that wood will burn like a dream this winter.

Wow that was an awesome post! Thanks for taking the time there; I really had never analyzed the similarity in sizes of "fires" between my furnace and my stove but you are absolutely right that really the furnace (which will do 93K BTU's at high) is much more than the stove (which will do 55K BTU's at high)! Still though I've thought of everything there too with not only a smoke detector within 8 feet of furnace but also a Carbon Monoxide and Explosive Gas (methane, propane, etc) detector too. Ohh, yea, there's an extinguisher there too! Anyways, again, thanks for the post that was really helpful.

I've got a carbon monoxide and smoke detector, but I've never noticed an explosive gas detector in the shops!

Something else to spend money on at the local DIY store...... ;-)

turbocruiser said:
Wow another wonderful thread! Thanks for all the advice thus far. I too have been thinking through whether I want to leave the stove unattended while at work or not once the colder weather comes. If you're like most folks you will be worried at first . . . and then you'll start thinking about the cost of the heating oil, gas or electricity vs. the cost of the wood and you'll be thinking how nice it is with the heat . . . and then you'll start out by just burning for a few hours when you're outside, but still home . . . and then it will be doing a fire and then going to sleep (but sleeping in the sofa in the same room of the stove and you'll wake up every hour to make sure your house has not burned down around you) . . . and within a few weeks you'll be doing overnight fires without any great fear.

Previously with our open factory built fireplace I would NEVER leave the thing unattended even when I was inside the house and wide awake! I mean I seriously stayed within eye-shot of that thing at all times from fear about how hazardous it was. Yes, I'm a worry wort but seriously I think anyone could argue that those things are dan-ger-ous if left unattended. Any time any one purposefully builds a fire in their home they should be concerned . . . maybe even a tad worried . . . respect the fire and learn how the woodstove works . . . but don't fear the fire. Develop good, fire-safe practices for running the stove, cleaning the stove and disposing of the ashes and never forget that this is a potential danger to you and your loved ones if you don't treat the stove with respect.

Once our stove is installed however I am already determined to gradually get experienced enough to run the stove while we're asleep because I have several smoke detectors throughout the house, there are fire extinguishers at every level, and I'll also have some of those stove-specific fire extinguishers within an arm's reach of our stove. Not sure which type you're talking about since the most common type of fire extinguisher found in most homes can put out a stove or chimney fire. So, my thought there is that if something happens I would know about it almost right away and could respond almost right away whereas with running the stove when away for any reason (errands, school, work whatever) I would not necessarily know about it right away and therefore could not necessarily respond to it right away. Or . . . install the stove to the correct specs, use well seasoned wood, run the stove at the right temps, learn how your stove works and dispose of the ashes properly and you don't have to worry about the stove so much.

I don't know now if I'm over-analyzing and over-worrying this! Are the experts that do true 24/7 burning really saying that nothing has ever happened that they had to respond to? That's what I'm saying . . . I installed my stove to the manufacturer's specs (and even exceeded them in terms of the hearth and clearances), I use well seasoned wood, after running the stove for several evenings and weekends and doing a whole lot of reading and question asking here I learned how to use my stove, I bought thermometers to measure the stove and chimney temps, I clean out my chimney on a regular basis and I dispose of my ashes properly . . . and no fears and no worries and no getting up in middle of the night. I guess I thought that there was "always something" that could conceivably happen that would require a response (such as strong changes in draft, all sorts of situations that could cause "smoking", anything that went wrong with the stove through usage, etc.)? I also thought that 99% of these things are pretty easily solved by simple actions such as simple adjustments to the controls or simply safely putting out the fire as fast as possible if something indeed does go wrong with the stove. So that's where I was thinking that unattended usage was still a no-no.

A few more thoughts . . .

I have had wood roll up against my glass a few times . . . the worse that has happened is that I didn't notice it and it blackened the glass by blocking the effects of the air wash system.

I have had a couple of times when I reloaded the fire in the morning, opened the air and went into the bathroom to take a long, hot shower . . . only to come out and smell that distinctive aroma of curing paint on the stove pipe. After the second time I learned my lesson . . . nothing like a little reminder like this to cure one of a bad habit.

Speaking of habits . . . I think many of us get into a routine of good habits. Like others I check and then often recheck everything before leaving the house . . . checking the doors, air control setting and the temps of the stove and stove pipe.

Dennis brought up something worth noting . . . if you are truly concerned with fire safety in your home . . . don't leave your cooking unattended . . . as this is the number one cause of fire . . . number two and three are electrical issues and heating equipment.

I've got the Englander NC-13 and put it into service around the first of the year. I burnt till April, so roughly 4 months. I burnt as much as possible during the weekdays and pretty much full time on the weekend. I only went through about a cord of wood. Basically that would consist of two loads up at night, one in the morning during the weekdays.

On the fire end of life, the greatest peace of mind, that can be done is make sure its built with quality parts and built beyond the minimal safety aspect. You have to respect the fire and what dangers lies within. Good Luck.

I have a smaller USSC stove so my overnight burns only make it about 50% of the time but I was very nervous the first time I went to bed with a firebox full...So what I did was on a Saturday that I was just watching football I pretended I was loading it for the night, and was able to see how the fire burned and how long it produced good heat....just my 2 cents but it did put my mind at ease. Btw I burned 3 cords last winter, although I don't burn 24/7.

I would also consider myself a full time wood burner with a full time job. I work the night shift and my wife is a full time student. Before I leave for work I fill the firebox and prep for the overnight burn. I have gas heat on a thermostat as a backup but as things generally go if my wife is up early on certain mornings she will get the coals going with a fresh load of wood and if I get home early enough I will do it. I can get some good coals on a 10 hr overnight burn, sometimes the backup heat will turn on in the really cold weather. I'm usually home during the day to maintain the stove until the cycle repeats itself again.

I work long days and I'm up early so I get a fire going before I leave for work so the house is nice and warm when my wife gets up with our little guy. Then she takes over during the day. She's usually pretty good about loading the stove and keeping it going until I get home. Then it's usually a quick hot fire in the evening, then a big overnight burn. With the osburn 2400 and good hardwood we have no trouble getting a good overnight burn with lots of coals in the morning.

Heating 1,700 sf We burned about 4 cords last year I think. It's hard to tell exactly because I burned a lot of construction debris mixed in with my cord wood, and I don't keep track of the amount of construction debris I burn annually.

This year I expect to burn a little bit more. I started the season last year with a much smaller insert and installed my 3.2 cf beast in early January.

*Something worth noting:
Those first few days when you're burning in your new stove are really great. It's going to be a little frustrating probably, but when you get it going you'll just be staring at that flame in amazement and basking in that wood heat. Good luck with it. Hope this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.