1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fun weekend

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Mrs. Krabappel, May 4, 2014.

1. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Warm_in_NH

Warm_in_NH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central NH
    Heading in to Boston for a Red Sox game right now. Always a good time.

Boston is only an hour n a half for me. NC to Atlanta must be a haul.
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That is a great opportunity for the kids. Good thing I read the caption for the article's photo. I couldn't figure out at first why the kid's faces looked so goofy.
    Mrs. Krabappel likes this.
  4. Mrs. Krabappel

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    3 hours to Atlanta, but we have a great friend here to hang out with. Atlanta is a great town. The night was a blast. Giants won. We're coming back on Memorial day as the sox are in town for some interleague play.

Of course I failed to mention my very large project due tomorrow to round out my spring semester. Frantically working on it now before we hit the road. :(
  5. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Good stuff K! We do a similar phenotype /genotypeactivity every year. After the widow's peak, etc.,compare length of your pointer and ring fingers. This is a sex influenced trait. In females, the dominant trait produces a longer pointer, in males a longer ring finger. I usually have about 20 girls to 5 guys in my advanced class, and I do a good natured bit about the trait evolving as a way for females to nag more efficiently with a longer pointer finger.::-)
    I usually follow that up with the watson/crick Rosalind Franklin story to capitalize on making the girls a bit mad - get that chip on the shoulder before college.

*for the non Bio - nerds out there, the 2 guys that discovered the structure of DNA largely did so by ripping off an x-ray crystallography pic Rosalind Franklin took. They got the nobel prize, she got 2-3 sentences in the textbook. Most of my our top science kids are females, BTW.
  6. Warm_in_NH

Loc:
    central NH
    20140504_153358.jpg
    Heading back home. Some good food n drink in the city. Sox lost in 10 innings, it's okay, lots more to play this year and tix to a couple more.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Congrats on the pic/article K. Your students look genuinely interested! What satisfaction for you, that must be...easier to teach when they're interested, no? Good job. (I bet this one won't get the golden padlock award!!!)
    BrotherBart likes this.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Depends on where it goes. ;lol
  9. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Can't lock K's post on ladies' night...:)

10. Warm_in_NH

Loc:
    central NH
    Not so bad, figured it was a longer ride.

All fun weekends must come to an end. :( Congrats on the front page story. My SO is learning that maybe raw oysters from the oldest restaurant in the country may not be the best ones, shes been praying to the porcelain gods for a while now. ;sick Enjoy the Sox in a few weeks!
  11. Mrs. Krabappel

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC

You had better seats than we did! We got free kids club tickets which were nosebleed, but it's a nice stadium and we enjoyed it immensely. We had a great view of the city. Kool and the Gang was really fun. All the "mature" folks started in their seats, started to boogie in their seats, and then ended up raising the roof.

As of 5pm I handed in my last (hellish) assignment. Another semester under the belt. Almost done!

Giants.JPG
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    firebroad likes this.
  12. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Glad to hear you got some play time and schools out for you for the year. The genetics biology project - probably engaged my kids the most.

Genetic info is not just for bio nerds ... In discussing genetics, my Doc told me about a breast-fed infant that died from morphine toxicity due to Mom taking prescribed pain-killer with codeine (codeine metabolizes to morphine). Pain killers with codeine are commonly prescribed for post-labor pain (c-sections, etc). In this instance, Mom was an ultra-rapid metabolizer which produced toxic levels in her baby :( http://www.cfp.ca/content/53/1/33.full

Always learning something new - thanks for the info Osagebow:)
  13. Mrs. Krabappel

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Yes love the genetics. To be clear- I'm still teaching. I'm working on my masters in biology, so just closed out that semester
  14. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Hoping that Kat, pen and osagebow had a great National Teacher's Appreciation Day today.
  15. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I was told this whole week is Teacher Appreciation Week.
  16. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I never could keep up with that stuff. My development was arrested when my grandmotherly old 7th grade teacher shot her husband in his sleep the year I was in her class. Well, until her arrest.
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Frozen Canuck likes this.
  17. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Caught that in the other thread ... How much more to go on the Master's?
  18. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Yikes!
    He must have been a real prize.
  19. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    That was my thought! ... or she was just crazy. What's the story BB?
  20. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.

Sounds to me like she must have been the real prize!
  21. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Short version. Nutcase husband says that grown daughter that lives with them is a sinner and has to die. He is gonna take a nap and when he wakes up he is gonna kill said daughter. He goes to sleep on the couch and Mrs. Cross emptied his pistol in him. She got off on the Texas Defense. For those not familiar with it the Texas Defense consists of "That sumbitch just needed killin.".

Moved to Oklahoma.
  22. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I was going to say that she should have just called the cops but they generally stayed out of "domestics" That statement may have gotten their attention but .... no guarantees.
  23. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Ironic that commandment #6 seems to have escaped them entirely.
  24. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    On Friday Nights the Cincinnati Reds have Fire Works. Good Ones at that. Nice Family time. Go Reds!
  25. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    my baseball taste tends to be with the minors, here in Lynchburg we have a Carolina league team the Hillcats (Lynchburg Va. is nicknamed "the hill city" ) http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t481 we're a Braves class A farm team. its inexpensive , no such thing as "nosebleed" seats ball players are usually friendly with the fans. my daughter and I are thinking seriously about catching tomorrow nights game the team is wearing pink, the game is a fundraiser for the Susan G Komen breast cancer charity 10 bucks at the gate and the player's uniforms will be auctioned off to raise money for the cause. I lost my grandmother to cancer so its relevant to me, we do the "relay for life" every year as well.

here's the "promo" for the game off the cat's website http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...id=74642624&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t481&sid=t481

if you are lucky enough to have a minor league team in your hometown, show up and support them. its always a great day at the ball park
    Mrs. Krabappel likes this.