1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fun with Sandy

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Fod01, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Fod01

Fod01 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island
    Just a quick note... we've been without power since Monday. Utility crews are on my street now. I appreciate those who are away from their families to help us.

Took the surround off the Montpelier, and have been burning some small stuff. I was worried about over-firing without the blower working, but the IR therm was showing only around 430 by the collar, and 74 in the livingroom, mid to high 40s overnight.

We lost a tree into my above ground pool during Irene. Sandy gave us an ugly hanger in the backyard. Waiting for a call from our tree service for this one.

Luck to all.

Gabe

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good to hear the crews are moving in. Good plan to let the tree service handle the hanger. Stay safe!

PS: What part of Long Island are you in Gabe? Sounds like the south shore took it bad.
  3. Fod01

Fod01 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island
    We are in Medford, about 65 miles east of NYC, and a few miles south of south of the Island's center. In all, we made out ok. My mother-in-law is even further south and did not lose power at all. We took advantage of her hospitality for showers etc.

My parents live on the north shore. They have 3 trees down, 2 of which are hangers. They promised to call a service this time. A hanger almost killed my dad a couple years ago. Their neighborhood is a mess, but even their power came back yesterday.

I am at my office now, and am finally seeing pictures of the island. Its hard to get my head around it all.

Gabe