Fungus in woodpile.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsantoli

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2006
I have been lucky enough to find a nearby source of free red oak that was cut 6 months ago; easily acessible and more than I could use in several years. The property owner had the trees taken down because they had some kind of fungus, the tree contractor told him it was common in the area and that it spreads in the soil.

Is there any chance this would will 'infect' the oak tree near my wood stockpile once I get it home?

Thanks,

Tom

Great question!! It would depend on how that fungus transmitted itself, so you would need to know which fungus specifically your dealing with. The best source of information would be the local county extension office. They will be aware of what fungus is around and infecting oak in your area and can address your concerns. I would tend to believe it won't be an issue since the news would get out pretty quickly to try to stop the spread of the fungus,

Tsantoli,

Where do you live?

Many species of hardwoods are threatened by fungus, disease and insects.

Here we have a huge infestation of gypsy moths and hundreds of thousands of acres of oak are being threatened.

Status
Not open for further replies.