Funny burning smell coming from Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
My 500 is emanating a strong odor from the top where the pot would go. Smells like kerosene or lighter fluid.
Can't figure out why but a little history.
I painted one of the bedrooms today with Kilz which is an oil based primer. Used alot. The smell doesn't smell like that exactly but I am wondering if the stove is drawing the smell out of the room and into the rest of the house ?
I turned all the lights off and looked over the stove I see no cracks or light coming from it other than the glass front. It's burning nicely but seems to smell strongest around the top of the stove. Could it be a bad piece of wood ? Something in the top of the stove getting too hot ? or just something to do with the painting I did ?
BTW I never use lighter fluid or kero in my stove. The smell just smells like that.

I figured out what is was after a call to my propane dealer. His daughter answered and asked did you do anything in the house ? Yes I painted...What is happening is the paint fumes are all over the house form the oil based primer and anywhere a flame is burning(woodstove, gas range) it is burning the fumes and making the smell.

The fumes are being burnt by the heat of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.