Funny how splitting changes when you get ahead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I had to chuckle today when I was moving some wood into the garage. I finished off one stack and moved on to a stack made up mostly of oak that I split in the spring of 2009. I planned to burn it last year but never got to it since the winter was so warm. I split most of it small since it was my first year burning in something other than an open fireplace and wanted to use in that year.(yeah right) ;lol

Anyway as I was grabbing those splits today I kept laughing that these were what I now consider small and almost filler size splits. I took one split that seemed to be on the "large" size for that stack and took a picture of it next to some current stuff I'm splitting. The triangle split is about 3 1/2x5, the rectangle is 6x8. Looking at some others in the stack the biggest squares seemed to be about 4x4 and those are few and far between, the average squares/rectangles seem to be 3x3 or 3x4. I'm glad the BK handles the small stuff just fine.

Attachments

• 0119131732.jpg
    0119131732.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 176
Your splits on the left look like the splits Im burning now, it was the first big batch I split when I started getting ahead, they're burning great and seasoned two years. Once I was ahead three years the splits look like the ones on the right, maybe a tad smaller. but those wont be burned for at least 3 years.

Now that I am burning wood and not selling it,my splits have been growing in size also. Like they say bigger is better. and It doesn't take as long splitting as it used to.

been on the same plan for a couple years. I had some smalls the first year and stacked single row. Since I have a good 3+yrs and growing I stack tighter with larger splits. Less runs with the ram makes for quicker splitting but heavier tossing onto the pile. And with 4 rows instead of 3 on my oversized pallets I can store more wood in less space.

I split fairly large to speed up the process but I keep my wood (a trailer load at a tme) in the attached garage and I have an electric splitter out there. The splitter gets used a lot depending on needs. This system works great for me!

After getting ahead for 2-3 + years, I make big splits. You can always split them down if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.