Furnace $$$ VS Boiler $$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Binny

Sep 26, 2011
Hudson Vally NY
I have been wanting a wood furnace for some time now and I am close to saving enough. From what I gather Boilers are a more efficient way to go but a lot more expensive. Am I right in saying this. I was just reading an active new thread on this forum where someone said that people but water coils in there duct work ( I have existing duct work ) to heat there house. That caught my attention. I was just wondering is the price still a huge difference between a Furnace and a Boiler. I have no existing chimney and would need to instal that to. I am Gusstamating that i am into a triple wall chimney for about 2200.00 and a furnace for about 3800 - 4200 depending on the model...

Not all boilers will be more efficient, as not all furnaces either. You have your good models, and your lower end models. I'm under 2000 for our furnace and liner so I lucked out. From what I've seen on here some gasification boilers start around 6500.00 and go up from there. If you choose storage that's more, then there's the installation with plumbing, electrical and heat exchanger for the ductwork. A basic wood furnace starts around 1000, and a top end close to 5000 with shipping. A EPA furnace can be had for around 3000, depending on options. We choose the furnace route, but if I had a boiler then that's the route I would have choose. I couldn't see spending alot of money on the boiler, storage, installation, etc. Our return on investment was the first season. I installed our furnace, so that also saved money. If it's hot water you want, then a water loop can be installed so you heat your home and water from the woodfurnace. I like having the radiant heat from the furnace heating the basement and the forced air heating the home above. It's a steady heat, and if sized right you will be very comfortable in the home.

Air is a poor way to transfer heat from one location (furnace) to another (heat vent). Even with insulated duct work there is still a lot of heat loss from beginning to end. Water is a better conductor of heat and has much less heat loss from the boiler to the base board. However, the burner efficiency between a furnace and boiler can be similar.

We have around a 40' run of heat trunk, from the start of the run to the end there's only a few degree difference. The ductwork stays warm because of the nature of a woodfurnace. The blower remains active as long as there is a fire in the furnace, therefore the ductwork doesn't cool. Where our ductwork runs in an interior cavity, our ductwork is heavily insulated. Our flue temps with a raging fire do not go over 400 degrees, the secondary heat exchanger extracts the heat that otherwise would be lost.

My Tarm Solo Innova wood gassification boiler calls for double wall chimney which is still pricey, but not as bad as triple wall. How high a chimney are you installing? I got mine, Supervent stainless double wall, online from Menards. $58.00 for a 6" inside diameter, three foot section, currently (free shipping when I got it, if I remember correctly).

Mike

I understand that water is a better medium to transfer heat, but if you pipe it to a coil in the ductwork you still encounter duct loss. The homeowner has ductwork, no baseboards or radiators. That's where I think an efficient wood furnace is a good option. I'm still sure a good boiler will cost a bit more than a woodfurnace. Either will heat a home just fine. We choose to add a EPA certified woodfurnace to our 90% efficient lp furnace to have the best of both worlds.

I misread the post. I thought if he went with the boiler option be would be using base board and not duct work.

If you have a good setup for a furnice then that's the way to go. Save 5,000 and be done with it !

Status
Not open for further replies.