Furniture & Taxidermy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Clearance to combustibles on my stove is 16" so im assuming as long as my recliner is 16" away im fine? Just wondering how close i can put the room decor. It's actually about 34 inches right now.
Also does anyone have experience with taxidermy (deer heads) being around a stove? I have 2 deer heads on the wall to each side of the stove, 3 ft away from the stove and up high on the wall. Im concerned maybe the heat will cause them to shrink or dry out.
Thanks

A humidifier is a good idea for a home with a wood stove, even without the animals involved.

In general, being in that area may not be a fire hazard, but is not the best situation for the mounts. Some mounts I've seen survive literally 80 years and have little damage, even in tough conditions like this. I've seen others start to have issues in less than a decade. I'm not sure what the deciding factor is, but in general, if you really want them there, just be prepared to have them redone in the future if necessary, or else find them a new and more stable environment in the home.

The deer will be fine but that recliner won't stay 16" away very long. ;lol

Reactions: Jerhurt
Status
Not open for further replies.