Fusion Ignition Reached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Some articles are stating that it looks like controlled nuclear fusion was reached by the US National ignition Facility

Other articles are less certain but it moves the ball closer to the goal. I just wonder is if the various competing billion dollar projects shut down at one point and concentrate on one or two viable technology's?.

Getting closer. There was some news about the same time in the development of a super-magnet needed to contain the plasma field.

Some articles are stating that it looks like controlled nuclear fusion was reached by the US National ignition Facility

Other articles are less certain but it moves the ball closer to the goal. I just wonder is if the various competing billion dollar projects shut down at one point and concentrate on one or two viable technology's?.
Same here as on the PV thing. Exciting if it withstands scrutiny (proving ignition is not easy, especially if it's done with energy balances, i.e. temperatures, rather than particle physics) - but why shout it from the roof is the data analysis is not yet done...?

The data analysis may not be finished, but if the guys working there are aware of the fact that a fusion process happened in their lab, I think they can call dibs on it before they're done with the number crunching.

In science one is not sure about having achieved something unless and until the data have been analyzed to the required precision and rigor.

Checking and verifying everything is what allows scientists to say "mission accomplished" and to base further research on what's been achieved, but I'm fairly sure that Yuri Gagarin didn't wait until the debriefing to say he was in space, and that Oppenheimer claimed the success of the first atom bomb test before the mushroom cloud was gone.

Yes. But reaching fusion in a hot plasma is NOT something you can just "see and know". Trust me (I know), the majority of scientific discoveries die a quiet death during data analysis and before publication.

Reactions: woodgeek and EbS-P
It is a "big" entity, and the likelihood that it's true is larger than that it dies this quiet death.
But too often (as in majority of the cases), big announcements were never solidified with a peer reviewed report.

Nature has now jumped on this too, though:
https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-02338-4

Though I note that the experiment has not even been replicated yet. I.e. this was the first and only time they (tentatively) reached this conclusion.

From that link: The ultimate test — whether the team can replicate its 8 August success — could come as early as October, say laboratory officials.

Not break-even... but close... and a big step forward compared to past results

researchers-at-the-bri.jpg

Not much use until they put a upper limit bar on the chart to show a universally agreed upon ignition point.

Yes they have made progress but if Florida is under the water and 2 degrees C rise is a memory, will the tech be of any use?

Reactions: EbS-P
This should be the #1 collaborative priority for the G20. COP26 danced around the key fossil fuel issues instead of facing them head-on. Start by cutting subsidies. It's been said:

If your bathtub is overflowing, you don’t reach for the mop to soak up the overflow, you turn off the tap.​

I'm not really holding my breathe on Fusion being a viable energy source within my life time. Ignition seems to be the major hurdle of today, then there is the challenge of making the reaction stable, controllable and continuous. After all that it has to come in at a price that is affordable enough to make it a viable alternative to existing energy sources.

For me the last statement alone is enough to not bet the farm on it. Personally I think traditional nuclear fission needs to become a large energy source for the time being, the problem is it needs support from the government to happen, and it's a topic very few politicians are willing to touch. Renewables can and will be a large part of the energy market in the future, but I don't believe build-out of these technologies will happen fast enough to curb CO2 emissions. The problem is reactors need at least a decade to be planned and built, which means ground would need to be broken in the next couple years to have them online in time.

Not much use until they put a upper limit bar on the chart to show a universally agreed upon ignition point.

Yes they have made progress but if Florida is under the water and 2 degrees C rise is a memory, will the tech be of any use?

I think yield at ignition depends on system size. So there is no universal number.
The point is that it is clear if it's useful when more comes out than is put in. And this system will be batch rather than continuous (as ITER). So ignition (of a self-sustaining "fire") is a strange concept here.

The thing I'd like to know is how many joules they put in.

Helion had bee saying it'll be soon for many "soon periods".

Will this eventually work (one of the approaches to cold fusion), yes. Likely.

Will it be in 5 years? Unlikely imo.

Will it be actually viable for semicommercial power production? I won't bet my car on that. It takes a boatload of energy to get fusion. Trying to get more energy out is not easy even though fusion in principle produces a lot, getting it out in usable quantities and form is a big challenge.

If use refers to the word fusion, that would-be energy in equal to energy generated. Differs for each device and method

If use refers to the graph, the simple point is an order of magnitude better energy generated by this method

If use refers to global warming, in the near future, It's much more useful to switch to non carbon sources.... But that looks difficult.. Friedman, NYT, points out "The global supply of renewables will grow by 35 gigawatts from 2021 to 2022, but global power demand growth will go up by 100 gigawatts over the same period. "

But then, suppose the optimistic projections are true, and some devices begin to come on line in the 30s... that wouldbe useful

That said, these devices have loads of other problems.

I think yield at ignition depends on system size. So there is no universal number.
The point is that it is clear if it's useful when more comes out than is put in. And this system will be batch rather than continuous (as ITER). So ignition (of a self-sustaining "fire") is a strange concept here.

The thing I'd like to know is how many joules they put in.
“This experiment produced fusionyield of roughly two-thirds of the laser energy that was delivered, tantalizingly close to that goal.”

So 2MJ “in a few billionths of a second”

Think of that in Watts……….

If use refers to the word fusion, that would-be energy in equal to energy generated. Differs for each device and method

If use refers to the graph, the simple point is an order of magnitude better energy generated by this method

If use refers to global warming, in the near future, It's much more useful to switch to non carbon sources.... But that looks difficult.. Friedman, NYT, points out "The global supply of renewables will grow by 35 gigawatts from 2021 to 2022, but global power demand growth will go up by 100 gigawatts over the same period. "

But then, suppose the optimistic projections are true, and some devices begin to come on line in the 30s... that wouldbe useful

That said, these devices have loads of other problems.

We have to get over our fear nuclear energy, allow reprocessing. And make the permitting/ approval process an efficient one This technology is available today and I don’t see any reason not to put 10s to 100 GW online in a decade. All the nuclear disasters have been terrible. But I’m hopeful we will see some new designs permitted and some ground broken. The alternatives I feel are worse than nuclear power expansion. Fission is still as it has been something we will keep working towards but I doubt the progress is fast enough to to make meaningful impacts on global warming.

We have to get over our fear nuclear energy, allow reprocessing. And make the permitting/ approval process an efficient one This technology is available today and I don’t see any reason not to put 10s to 100 GW online in a decade. All the nuclear disasters have been terrible. But I’m hopeful we will see some new designs permitted and some ground broken. The alternatives I feel are worse than nuclear power expansion. Fission is still as it has been something we will keep working towards but I doubt the progress is fast enough to to make meaningful impacts on global warming.
My understanding is that reprocessing is inherently Refining, and makes weapon grade material more accessible.

IIRC, that is why reprocessing was abandoned in the late 70s in the US. France kept one reprocessing plant going for a while.

Is there a reprocessing method that does not have this problem?

Something on French reprocessing

Something on reprocessing... it's more than just France

And finally the problem

"There are two proliferation concerns associated with reprocessing. First, reprocessing increases the risk that plutonium could be stolen by terrorists. Second, countries with reprocessing plants or separated plutonium could produce nuclear weapons before an effective international response could be mobilized."

Chinese scientists are also working on achieving fusion, this time with a novel approach that could be much less expensive.

Good review article of current fusion efforts from Nature

I don’t buy the 10 year mark for availability of commercial reactors. They are looking for funding and will promise anything to get it. But I hope I’m wrong.

With the effects of climate change growing daily there's going to be a lot of fast-tracking going on.

There is a good chance that the chinese may pull it off before anyone else. They have a pebble bed reactor on line and getting ready to go commercial. Odds are the fusion reactors are going to be huge baseloaded units and I do not know it they are going to fit into the concept of the US grid of the future. The reality is unless Chinese and India deploy these there is going to be a lot more coal generation going on line.

Reactions: ABMax24 and begreen