Galvanized vs stainless chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
After talking to a contractor about my chimney install, I got a bid that seemed reasonable. I asked for stainless class A, thinking that implied both an exterior and interior use of stainless. The quote I received has a Security chimney system, stainless liner, and aluminum-zinc exterior. I can't find much information on the pros/cons of choosing one over the other, but did find that the manufacturer offers both a stainless and galvanized finish.

I can't imagine there is a difference in performance, but please correct me!

Are there long term durability differences in either the appearance or lifespan?

Is there a significant difference in price between the two?

The only pictures I can find show the product with a high gloss finish. To me, that says the pics are of a stainless system... I can't picture a high sheen on a galvanized pipe. Am I off base?

I know I should ask the company, but I doubt they would answer the phone at 1:00 am! It's on my mind, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks!

I can't imagine there is a difference in performance, but please correct me!
Nope they preform the same

Are there long term durability differences in either the appearance or lifespan?
Yes big difference in life span

I am sure there is a difference but i have never even considered putting in a galvanized one so i have never checked the difference.

Having just purchased all the various bits to install my new Englander 30-NC in our upstairs living area, I can tell you that the price difference for a 60" section of Class A DuraTech pipe is roughly $50 from the place I bought mine from. Like bholler, I never really considered galvanized. I have seen several houses in my area that do have them and they show signs of rust and corrosion. All the stainless pipe looks good. There is definitely a reason that the stainless is more expensive and it's because it holds up a lot better to the elements.

Last edited:
So we need to specify whether this reduced life span for galvanized applies if the class A is out of the weather. I would not put galvy up above the roofline but some systems have significant pipe length below the roofline and I can't see how the outer shell would corrode inside the house. Is the inner layer, against the smoke, not SS on both versions? Just the outer shell galvy on the cheaper version?

Reactions: begreen
+1 that is correct and a good way to save a bit, especially if the interior run of class A pipe is long.

I have galvanized water pipes in the house that don't look all that great.

My stove is going under a bathroom that, shall we say, wouldn't do well with a stove pipe through it. So... My system will rise toward the ceiling, exit the house at a 90, then run along the siding, through the soffit (2 foot soffits... I don't want a 2.5 foot offset from the house) and up from there. I'll have 4 ft or rise in the house followed by 16 ft outside. The price difference was only $130 (about $8 a foot) or an additional 8% on material, so I'm going stainless.

I'm contemplating adding a couple of feet to ensure good draw. My gut says I should install as listed above, then if the draw is insufficient, purchase an additional piece of chimney to add to the stack. Thoughts?

Talking to the contractor, I'm maybe 3 weeks away from a break in fire! Last night was 55 degrees, and I wouldn't be surprised to have frost in 3-4 weeks. The stove can't be in soon enough!

Where did summer go?

If the chimney is all run outdoors, as that wall penetration would do, I would go all stainless.

ditch the 90's and use 2 - 45's much better exhaust flow

Status
Not open for further replies.