Galvanized vs. Stainless?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
Hi everyone... I visited a store this weekend and received an estimate on a Hampton 300 (large) with chimney install. Price was a little high for me, but the process was great. Very comfortable.

Anyway, a question... I had the option of a stainless exterior chimney or galvanized. It was about $45 cheaper per 4-foot length for the galvanized. Any recommendations out there? Is the stainless that much better? What are the implications over 25 years? Color change? Rusting, etc? Any input would be welcomed!

If you are burning coal or oil or live near a coast you should use stainless, anywhere else galvanized or aluminized casings are fine. Notice all the B-Vent sticking out of people's roofs for 40-50 years with no rust or corrosion? They don't have stainless casings. If you are really worried you can paint the pipe for added protection.

Even if the pipe is SS, the flashing and other hardware are galvanized. I just put in some galvanized Duravent pipe I got on craigslist, and decided to paint it with two coats of BBQ paint just to be sure. It looks really good, and I painted the flashing to match. One can of BBQ spray paint seems to just cover one coat on 10' of 6" HT pipe (the can doesn't give any coverage figures, so that was pure luck).

Don't paint the cap :-o.

Use the galv. outer wall on anything inside if its in a chase etc., and use the stainless outer wall anywhere outside. Save money when you realistically can, but don't skimp heavily.

I used galvanized outside wall for my new double wall liner system, all the way out. Think I'll just paint it silver or black.

Status
Not open for further replies.