Gap in rigid steel chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nyj780

Nov 9, 2019
Middletown, DE
I was inspecting my fireplace and noticed I could see light through where two of the steel rigid chimney liner sections came together. I used an endoscopic camera to inspect it further. The video is attached.

Is it safe to use the fireplace like this? If it is not safe, what options do I have to remedy it? Do I need a professional to come in and install a new liner?

Disclaimer: I’m new to owning a fireplace so I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question. Thanks I advance for the help!

Attachments

• CAA40553-4D5B-453C-AB0C-783E74BB6C6A.jpeg
    CAA40553-4D5B-453C-AB0C-783E74BB6C6A.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 97
It’s not ideal. I’m concerned why you can see daylight outside of the liner. How is it terminated at the top?

You need a new chase cover really bad! What does the set up inside look like? Is there a stove hooked to it, or just a fireplace?

You can order a stainless steel cover from a few chimney supply companies online. I would repaint the cap while it’s off too.

You can order a stainless steel cover from a few chimney supply companies online. I would repaint the cap while it’s off too.
Ok will do, appreciate all the help. So you think that little gap in the liner sections is ok? I guess I probably never would have even seen it if there wasn’t light getting in where it wasn’t supposed to.