Gaps in Stovepipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm new here, but I've been reading this forums since last year. Incredible amount of good information here, it really helped us through our first winter with our morso 3400.

I have a question (finally) that I had a little trouble researching, so it was time to register and join the fray....

We have a ranch and the Morso is installed in front of the fireplace, venting out the back and up the flu of the chimney. There's a stainless steel liner in the chimney. The installer used foil tape to seal the pipes, which of course got brittle and fell off and seems to have had no effect on the operation. And looks better now too.

When I look into the back pipe, I can see light coming in where it connects to the stove, from the fluted edges so a ring of small circles. I read in other threads that this is okay, and should present no problem. I just want to confirm that these gaps in where the fluted part of the pipe meets the stove is indeed okay. I was going to fill them in with furnace cement but there seems some indication that this either isn't necessary or is not a good idea.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I always fill those gaps with furnace cement. Gaps can cause cool air to be sucked in causing creosote and draft reduction, kind a like sucking a straw with a hole in it.

I agree. A little can of furnace cement closes the gaps and does away with your worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.