Gaps in the terracotta flue in my new house is from 1978. Is it safe to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chimney Tennessee

Nov 25, 2023
Knoxville
This morning I went to inspect my terracotta chimney flue. The house is from 1978. Inside dimensions are 7x7" and depth is 18ft . A wood stove is connected to it in the basement.

I didn't noticed any built up and it looks pretty good to me. However I have noticed I could pass my fingers through the first junction gap, I couldn't reach any deeper, some junctions appears to look offset . Is it normal? I don't know the standards of the 70-80s.

I would assume a chimney is designed to last forever.

I have attached some pictures.

Does anyone have the same situation?
Is it safe to use daily ?

I'd not or to improve is there any DIY If a repair is necessary? I've seen a product called Rutland pré mix refractory mortar

Any constructive answers, experiences would be highly appreciated!

IMG_20231125_105043.jpg IMG_20231125_105133.jpg Screenshot_20231125_110200.jpg

It happens. Gaps in the mortar are not good. Also, there is some glaze building up.

I would have it inspected fully for other issues before using. Does the chimney have wood framing touching it?

You could perhaps have it cleaned and have a liner installed.

Reactions: Brownemtp
Would you install a liner over the current condition?
No, the creosote must be removed first and even then one doesn't know if it's seeped through the cracks to the surrounding brick.

This morning I went to inspect my terracotta chimney flue. The house is from 1978. Inside dimensions are 7x7" and depth is 18ft . A wood stove is connected to it in the basement.

I didn't noticed any built up and it looks pretty good to me. However I have noticed I could pass my fingers through the first junction gap, I couldn't reach any deeper, some junctions appears to look offset . Is it normal? I don't know the standards of the 70-80s.

I would assume a chimney is designed to last forever.

I have attached some pictures.

Does anyone have the same situation?
Is it safe to use daily ?

I'd not or to improve is there any DIY If a repair is necessary? I've seen a product called Rutland pré mix refractory mortar

Any constructive answers, experiences would be highly appreciated!

View attachment 319466 View attachment 319467 View attachment 319468
Clay liners have a projected lifespan of about 30 years definitely not designed to last a lifetime.

Liners of any sort are the first line of defense between the exhaust gasses and potential fire and your home. Yours are now compromised and should be replaced. I can pretty much guarantee that when the liners are broken out you won't be able to tell the difference between the inside and outside both will be pretty dirty

Last edited: