Garage Door Opener Insanity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi all. I’m at my wits end and looking for some help... I have a 3 car garage. Door 1 and 2 are identical Craftsman older but non DIP models. Door 3 is a newer model, also non DIP.

The remotes have been going recently so I replaced one a few weeks ago. I had no problem programming the new one with two buttons to control door 2 and 3. Santa got my wife the same remote that I have (Chamberlain universal from the orange store). When I programmed hers using the learning feature some weird stuff started happening.

Both my doors (1 and 2) look like they are on the same frequency. No matter what I do to program them from scratch they always open together. When I try to set a new code, I hit the learn button on 1 unit and then the remote and hit the open button until the door I’m programming opens. But when it finds the frequency it then opens the other door. I mean both doors open on the last step of the learning process. Of course in trying to figure things out I’ve been trying with both remotes and now both of them open both doors at the same time.

Everything I’ve googled recommends to clear the codes from the units by holding the learn button for 6 seconds until the light goes off. My lights never go off no matter how long I hold them in.

So far the only way I’ve figured out to keep both doors from opening at the same time is to unplug one... that sucks.

Any ideas?

I’m no expert, and have only ever had to deal with one door at a time, but what if you unplug one while you deal with programming the other? And then vice-versa if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes that was one of the first things I tried that but once they are both plugged in they go back to being on the same code again.

This doesn’t make any sense because I think they are supposed to generate a somewhat random frequency when it learns a new code. I don’t see how they pick the same one. I even tried disconnecting the hard wiring to the keypad thinking somehow that connected them.

I’ve tried every plausible thing I can think of...

This isn't your situation, but I found that my openers only sync to three remotes max. It took me quite a while to figure out that when I got to the end of things I wanted to open the doors the things at the beginning of the list no longer worked.

Have you tried taking the battery out of the remote you're NOT programming?

What about calling the mfr?

You know that life truly sucks when you're conversant in programming a door opener!!! ;lol

So I ran some numbers on the cost of a few different options, some suggested above.

- buy a different clicker $30
- buy a new opener $120 per door
- insurance deductible from burning house down $1,000
- Bail from getting arrested for arson $500
- defense attorney for arson charges $25,000
- rebuilding the house after denies insurance claim due to arson $!!!!!!!!!

So I decided to try a new opener and see what happened. I disconnected one door and then took the brand new clicker out of the box and hit the button. I’ve never tried to make this learn anything yet. Old door opened.

Basically I realize that my old door will open with ANY new style Chamberlain clicker.

So the clicker that is programmed to the old door will only open the old door. The new door clicker opens both.

I don’t know if something is new with the technology or if the sensor on the old door is just shot. Either way I’ll be replacing the other door opener soon since it’s providing zero security at the moment. Plus the new one has the safety sensors required by code now.

What was supposed to be a $30 quick fix is now more expensive and replacing openers in a cold garage during the polar vortex is no fun, but such is life.

Reactions: Soundchasm
well there is always the tried and true manual method. Not like my ex wifes though- just drove right through door. Ya blonde

you know what we say in massachusetts when life gets you down hav a beeya

Reactions: lml999
I installed two new garage door openers not long after our neighbors moved in. A week later I noticed that my opener operated *their* garage door in addition to mine. Sent them a FB message that their house wasn't haunted. They were a bit relieved... :)