Garn blower motor falure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2010
Sourthern Tier NY
Blower motor on garn 2000 failed to start when the timer was set. A little looking showed that the starting cap was bad. After replacing the cap motor ran ok for a couple of minutes then blew the cap again. Further looking showed that a small plastic part in the starting switch had melted and not removed the cap after the motor was up to speed. A little epoxy fixed the part so it worked and a manual switch added to throw after the centrifugal switch actuates has kept the garn running for hot water in three buildings.
Now looking for a stand by motor, one that is less expensive that the one from the Garn store. Has anyone found a replacement motor that has as good specks as the one from the garn store?

With the WHS3200, motor failures were repeated on the one system on which I have experience. Garn I believe has acknowledged that the motor was in some way at fault, and now has supplied a different motor which should not be subject to premature failure. Check with Garn to see if the motor for your Garn also is subject to this kind of failure. You may need a different motor. Good luck.

As a matter of general info for everyone......... Garn used a Dayton brand motor sourced through WW Grainger for some time. Grainger switched production of those motors to China and Garn started sourcing them elsewhere as a matter of principle if nothing else. The current motor is from Emerson which is made in US and assembled in Mexico from what I understand. Of course ......I've been accused of limited understanding by some......

Grainger switched production of those motors to China and Garn started sourcing them elsewhere as a matter of principle if nothing else.

Good for Martin! I'd buy a Garn if I had the need for such a unit (multi-unit apartment, institutional, etc.)

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.