1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Garn blower motor falure

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Retired Engineer, May 10, 2013.

1. Retired Engineer

Retired Engineer Member

Loc:
    Sourthern Tier NY
    Blower motor on garn 2000 failed to start when the timer was set. A little looking showed that the starting cap was bad. After replacing the cap motor ran ok for a couple of minutes then blew the cap again. Further looking showed that a small plastic part in the starting switch had melted and not removed the cap after the motor was up to speed. A little epoxy fixed the part so it worked and a manual switch added to throw after the centrifugal switch actuates has kept the garn running for hot water in three buildings.
    Now looking for a stand by motor, one that is less expensive that the one from the Garn store. Has anyone found a replacement motor that has as good specks as the one from the garn store?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TCaldwell

TCaldwell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    try grainger or mcmaster carr
  3. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    With the WHS3200, motor failures were repeated on the one system on which I have experience. Garn I believe has acknowledged that the motor was in some way at fault, and now has supplied a different motor which should not be subject to premature failure. Check with Garn to see if the motor for your Garn also is subject to this kind of failure. You may need a different motor. Good luck.
  4. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    As a matter of general info for everyone......... Garn used a Dayton brand motor sourced through WW Grainger for some time. Grainger switched production of those motors to China and Garn started sourcing them elsewhere as a matter of principle if nothing else. The current motor is from Emerson which is made in US and assembled in Mexico from what I understand. Of course ......I've been accused of limited understanding by some......
  5. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Good for Martin! I'd buy a Garn if I had the need for such a unit (multi-unit apartment, institutional, etc.)

TS