Garn through the roof revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
Has anyone seen a Garn installed with the chimney throught the roof? In my previous post( https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23181/ ) I mentioned that Paul at Garn had said it was ok and that in the future all Garns may be forced to come with verticle chimneys.

Now my dealer said that I could not go throught the roof because it is a pressurized exhaust as per Martin. He also said I must buy the chimney package from Garn. I was not planning to buy the kit from Garn because a heating friend can get the parts for considerably less.

As the Garn underground piping is now in place this is causing me considerate concern.

do you have the set of garn manuals, mine shows specifics for each application. basically there are more bldg code limitations for distance to combustibles and walkways,parkinglots,doors and windows for a horizontal flue, the only other way if you dont meet the code for a horizontal,is to go vertical. the pressureized flue answer i believe is incorrect, however too much horizontal is more restrictive than vertical. also they like to sell you the first 3' section of class a and the through the wall sleeve.

Thanks a lot for the feedback Tom and topofthehil.

I just got a call (7:52pm here) from our area Garn rep, Ken Oaks. He said Martin’s concern was with the pressurized exhaust and the clean out tee if the Garn were in an inhabitable building. The concern was for carbon monoxide leaking from the tee, and if codes would allow it. My Garn will be in an uninhabited building so they will approve it. I will buy my pipe locally rather than from Garn.

I will hopefully be able to pick it up a week from Monday!

Thanks again, George

Status
Not open for further replies.