1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

garrison 1 chimney ??

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by carinac, Jan 23, 2014.

1. carinac

carinac New Member

Loc:
    matawan nj
    I recently got a garrison 1 stove and it has a 8" rear pipe oulet. I was considering reducing this before it leaves the house to six" and then running with that size chimney pipe all the way up to the top of the roof, or should I just stay with 8" all the way. Will there be all that of a difference between the two. This is going to be a brand new install so the difference between 6" and 8" is pretty significant. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Unless the stove company states in the manual that it is OK to drop down to the 6 inch, then it is not appropriate to do it.

Even though it may work, the problem is doing that does not follow installation guidelines and it won't fly with the insurance company or any local code / inspections.

If the price of the 8 inch scares you, I'd consider purchasing a different stove that would be able to make use of a 6 inch flue.

I'm going to move the thread over to the classic stove room considering the stove involved.

Good luck

pen