Garrison I smokey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celticpiping

Sep 27, 2007
Maine,USA
www.gouette.com
Hey fellas, I managed to hook up a 2 door Garrison circa 1979, the big one with 8" rear flue etc.
We're noticing that she lets out smoke when the doors get cracked open, especially the left door: smoke kinda bellows out of that side especially.

I WAS running a 12400 Regency, and the flue was simply 6 ft inserted into the chimney(which drafted very well).
I am reducing the flue right at the rear outlet to 6".
Is that possibly the issue?
I also added a T & a cleanout.

Thoughts?
and forgive me for the reducing thing...my chimney won't support 8", and if this is the cause, then I'll just have to shop for a new stove.
I know it's gotta 8" output for a reason...

Thanks fellas,
Rich

More details about the install needed. Are you following the 10/2 rule for the roof? Is this installed in an existing chimney (if so are your running a full liner)?

Answer these questions and the cavalry will come.

ok, so she is a bit smoky...

I have no steel liner
I am reducing to 6" due to flue size
I have no blank off plate
I am running with only a direct connected flue

I'm trying to keep the draft(s) open when opening the doors..in an effort to minimize smoke

So, am I breaking most rules for a good setup?
rich

Status
Not open for further replies.