Garrison Stove Works

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billy2

Nov 25, 2017
New London, NH
I recently Googles "Garrison" wood stoves and noticed your comments back on Feb. 8th, 2012
with regards to "Garrison Stove Works". See below:

"Here's some company history asked for by the OP:
Roger Smith who made small machine parts started the company in 1978 in Claremont NH.
Opened a western plant in '79 in this article; Stove Builders Can't Keep Up With Demand
Vice President Robert McCredie; The Wood Stove Is On Way Back".

Roger Smith DID NOT start the company. My father, Robert L. McCredie Sr. founded "Garrison
Stove Works". The first cardboard prototype was designed in his retail store, "The Firebox", in
West Woodstock, VT. in the early 70's. With a $30k investment, the first Garrison stove was made.
Over the next few years, Garrison set up manufacturing facilities Claremont, NH, Goshen, IN
and Portland, OR. Within 5 years sales exceed $10m...

My father, a Yale graduate, was a sales and marketing genius. All of the Garrison manuals, brochures,
advertisements and promotional material were written and designed by him. Roger Smith was hired by
my father to set up the manufacturing facilities. The downfall of Garrison Stove Works and later
bankruptcy was a result of low oils prices after the 70's Oil Embargo…

Just thought you should know the truth.

Regards,

Robert L. McCredie Jr.

I recently Googles "Garrison" wood stoves and noticed your comments back on Feb. 8th, 2012

Roger Smith who made small machine parts started the company in 1978 in Claremont NH.
Opened a western plant in '79 in this article; Stove Builders Can't Keep Up With Demand

Roger Smith DID NOT start the company. My father, Robert L. McCredie Sr. founded "Garrison
Stove Works". The first cardboard prototype was designed in his retail store, "The Firebox", in
West Woodstock, VT. in the early 70's. With a $30k investment, the first Garrison stove was made.
Over the next few years, Garrison set up manufacturing facilities Claremont, NH, Goshen, IN

My father, a Yale graduate, was a sales and marketing genius. All of the Garrison manuals, brochures,
advertisements and promotional material were written and designed by him. Roger Smith was hired by
my father to set up the manufacturing facilities. The downfall of Garrison Stove Works and later

Regards,

Robert L. McCredie Jr.

Ah so! Thank you. I inherited a '78 unit and used it for several years until I upgraded with a new stove
in '17. What was really endearing is the fine fire control you could get including shutting off all air if necessary
to regain control of the fire. The newer unit is absolutely fixated on controlling the draft (automatically) and hence
has an automatic draft control that successfully belches smoke whenever you open the door = you have to wait
until the fire burns down before you can restoke it (=bad). It is currently in storage
and would like to repurpose it but it should be refurbished (fire bricks, a cracked top stone, door latches etc.) and didn't
know if someone keeps that torch burning (no pun intended)?

Regards,

Robert L. McCredie Jr.
@billy2 Thanks for the detailed information. I've added it to the wiki article on the Garrison stove. If there's anything else you want to share like marketing brochures, instructions etc. I can copy it up to the wiki-page.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/garrison-stoves/

Last edited:
Toastyboy, there is a guy in your area who does that sort of thing. Do a search for Graham the Stoveman.

Ah so! Thank you. I inherited a '78 unit and used it for several years until I upgraded with a new stove
in '17. What was really endearing is the fine fire control you could get including shutting off all air if necessary
to regain control of the fire. The newer unit is absolutely fixated on controlling the draft (automatically) and hence
has an automatic draft control that successfully belches smoke whenever you open the door = you have to wait
until the fire burns down before you can restoke it (=bad). It is currently in storage
and would like to repurpose it but it should be refurbished (fire bricks, a cracked top stone, door latches etc.) and didn't
know if someone keeps that torch burning (no pun intended)?
What is the new stove we may be able to help you with your issues

Any idea as to the original cost of the Garrison I unit in '78?