Gas fireplace recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtech1

Nov 2, 2014
US
I installed a HeatNGlo 5000 fireplace about 10 years ago. It has been absolutely terrible. Flame is poor (gas pressure is fine), not very realistic log set, constantly requiring service for flame sensor, blower is very loud, remote is poor, etc. I want to replace it with a new gas unit and am looking for a recommendation as to what brand would best meet my needs, which are:

1) Most realistic flame and log set available
2) No standing pilot. Electronic flame ignition.
3) Similar venting to my current unit which vents out the top of the unit and immediately turns 90 deg and out wall. If I don't need to redo the vent line hole in my wall that would be great, but not a deal breaker.
4) Reliability
5) The room is 17' on the fireplace wall by 22' going away from the fireplace. We want a decent size unit, but also the option to control the heat coming into the room.

Are the options like LED accent lighting and electric ember bed just gimmicks, or do they actually make the fireplace look more realistic?

I'd greatly appreciate advice on what models to look at...

Thanks!

I installed a HeatNGlo 5000 fireplace about 10 years ago. It has been absolutely terrible. Flame is poor (gas pressure is fine), not very realistic log set, constantly requiring service for flame sensor, blower is very loud, remote is poor, etc. I want to replace it with a new gas unit and am looking for a recommendation as to what brand would best meet my needs, which are:

1) Most realistic flame and log set available
2) No standing pilot. Electronic flame ignition.
3) Similar venting to my current unit which vents out the top of the unit and immediately turns 90 deg and out wall. If I don't need to redo the vent line hole in my wall that would be great, but not a deal breaker.
4) Reliability
5) The room is 17' on the fireplace wall by 22' going away from the fireplace. We want a decent size unit, but also the option to control the heat coming into the room.

Are the options like LED accent lighting and electric ember bed just gimmicks, or do they actually make the fireplace look more realistic?

I'd greatly appreciate advice on what models to look at...

Thanks!

We are adding an addition to our home and installing a fireplace (room is 19 x 17), I have some of the same questions as you. have you been able to find answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.