Change fire logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeDonuts

Jan 2, 2023
Harrisonburg, VA
First off, I have an unusual situation. I have a gas long vented fireplace. The logs put out a pitiful flame. The unit is five years old. I have detached the gas line and blew air through it.

We have the whole family arriving for Thanksgiving from different states and I would very much like to have a nice looking fire. In all honestly I do not need massive heat. This is more for asthetics.

I am looking at two options.

1. Way better looking logs that put out better flame.
  2. A bed of stones glowing. I think I need to buy a “pan” with that.
Do I need to buy a new burner, etc.? It may be the reason for the small flame but hoping I don’t have to buy a whole unit.

I am including a series of pics if that could be any help. You can see the flame from original fireplace pick as well as a pic from the internet that seems what I need. Also, any recommendations for logs, etc. would be appreciated. Finally, I am a total novice in this. THANK YOU!

Ann Fireplace.JPG IMG_3837.jpeg IMG_3840.jpeg IMG_3839.jpeg IMG_3836.jpeg Gas 1.JPG Fireplace.png

You cannot change the logs or replace them with anything else. Your gas fireplace underwent extensive testing with the OEM setup. Anything you change can potentially put your family AND your home in danger.

Reactions: Lennox65
The unit that you have is roughly 20,000 BTUs. The picture of the other fireplace looks like a 6000 Modern which would be approx 40,000 BTUs. The advertising pictures are almost never accurate.