Gas fireplace to Wood burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary001

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2010
North Florida
Just made my way through the attic to scope out a small roof leak and finally saw the chimney flue - a sheet metal tube (15" in Diameter?) completely exposed to the attic with a flexible type tube (clothes dryer vent type) running along side it. The flexible tube stopped maybe 2 feet short of the roof in the wooden chimney box housing the top of the flue. Early in the year we had a chimney sweep check out our fireplace because we wanted to change it over from gas to woodburning. With only an inspection of the fireplace he could not be 100% certain the changeover could be done. Also, he told us our flue was not fit to operate under any circumstances because there was a small gap where two flue sections came together. Not that they were not connected, it's more similar to putting a putty knife between sections and prying them apart a little. Anyway, we've taken his word because what's at stake is our house and lives. But just to learn a little something could someone tell me if the exposed chimeny flue in the attic would be safe for wood burning and if a small gap between flue sections can be easily and safely closed. Hopefully I've explained myself good enough. By the way, the model we have is the same as from this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/search_results/b4c14c57d0e6aa926577942d728070e4/

We'd only really use the fireplace for ambiance on some nights and not really for heating the house. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any more info is need please ask.

I will give you my opninion but remember soliticing advise from the internet, me or anyone, cannot be your altimate guide as to what is best for your situation.
Burning wood from a fireplace can be done with a double wall flue pipe rated less than a class A. However the pipe should have 100% integrity. Any gaps are potential for flames to exit the flue. With all that said it doesn't sound like you have the proper flue pipe in the first place. I would contact a dealer about lining your current flue with the proper pipe. Another concern is where the pipe goes through the attic there must be minimums from combustables. Your gas fireplace insert must also be rated to burn wood. Your link wouldn't work for me so I couldn't see what you have. I would go to a dealer and at least get information as to what a proper install should be and then see if your current install meets any of the criteria.

Thanks for quick reply and for the info. You're right that the internet should not be the ultimate resource for this type of information but it's a great start. Checked the pipe in the attic again and there was a sticker with information on it. Min. 2" of clearance from insulation and combustibles when not using certain fireplace model numbers and a min. 1" of clearance when using approved models. The link I included was for a thread about a no longer made Marco 792771A double sided wood burning fireplace with zero clearance . My fireplace has the same model number but when it comes to the safety of our house and family I can't assuming everything is the same. Also his was wood burning from the get-go and mine was outfitted for gas. If you're interested just type 792771A in the forum search and you'll see the same fireplace minus the brick as ours is covered by sheetrock and wood framing. With this new information would you still hold the same opinion as before? Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.