Gas Insert Heating Masonry Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tommygii

Dec 15, 2020
carmel, in
Hello, I got a new Mendota FV44i insert last year. It is now the primary source of heat in the house, as our gas furnace almost never runs.

I was surprised to see that the radiant heat from the stone chimney was enough to melt the frost/snow on the adjacent roofs, probably 10+ feet away from the chimney. I used a thermal camera on a 20F degree day and saw that the stone on the outside of the chimney was 45+F pretty much from right above the fireplace all the way to the cap.

Is this expected? I would have thought that the exhaust would go directly from the insert to the cap through the liner pipe, and any heating of the inside of the chimney would be minimal.

The space where the pipes go up to the chimney is filled with mineral wool insulation. Would a better seal here keep more of the heat in the room? Is there anything else that I should look at?

There should be insulation at the top of the chimney, under the cap,
& in the damper area at the bottom. This creates a "dead air" space - which
also acts as an insulator - keeping cold air out. I'd say your insert is doing
its job very well...