Q&A Gas Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello, I am looking for some information about converting an insert-type wood burning fireplace to gas with a blower. I understand that I will probably have to completely remove the current firebox, and run the aluminum venting pipes down the chimney for the new unit. I have seen the Jotul DV45 on your website and was wondering if you could recommend similar units that will run on propane. Also I know that I am looking at about $650 for gas logs in my current unit (was designed for gas) but I am having trouble getting a price range for installing and purchasing the gas inserts.

Answer:

You do not have to remove the existing firebox. A gas fireplace insert is installed into this opening and then the chimney is lined with one or two aluminum pipes. These inserts are not cheap - $1000 to $2000, plus installation which would run $500.-$900. in many cases. You'll find more about these at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

Gas logs (only) will cost much less, but will not do the same heating job.

Status
Not open for further replies.