1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Q&A Gas Insert

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    QandA New Member Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    Hello, I am looking for some information about converting an insert-type wood burning fireplace to gas with a blower. I understand that I will probably have to completely remove the current firebox, and run the aluminum venting pipes down the chimney for the new unit. I have seen the Jotul DV45 on your website and was wondering if you could recommend similar units that will run on propane. Also I know that I am looking at about $650 for gas logs in my current unit (was designed for gas) but I am having trouble getting a price range for installing and purchasing the gas inserts.


    You do not have to remove the existing firebox. A gas fireplace insert is installed into this opening and then the chimney is lined with one or two aluminum pipes. These inserts are not cheap - $1000 to $2000, plus installation which would run $500.-$900. in many cases. You'll find more about these at http://hearth.com/what/specific.html

    Gas logs (only) will cost much less, but will not do the same heating job.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page