1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gas mix ratio for Stihl MS 390

Post in 'The Gear' started by Kenster, Feb 22, 2013.

1. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    BogyDave - that is interesting and math can't lie?? I never did the math and I am not even sure what I pay for the little silver jugs of "Gold" evidently at 100+$$ per gallon. Makes 4$ a gallon for fuel seem cheap!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

One of my biggest complaints with AMSOIL is that they don't offer up Saber Professional in a squeeze & measure type bottle or in a 2.6oz bottle. They advertise it as a 100:1 oil but if you do the math, one of their little pillow packs for 1 gallon mix (1.5oz) comes out to be 80:1. Probably because it's a real PITA to rinse the packs out with gas if you're anal about the mix like me and Dave. ;) I'm still running the stuff and still liking it tho. :cool: Plus it's a cool electric blue color. ;lol

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/saber-professional/
  3. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Yeah, not really comparing apples to apples here because we all know that buying bulk usually gets you a discount. Have not priced a gallon of Stihl HP Ultra mix, but willing to bet that if you buy it a gallon at a time that it will be cheaper than $128 a gallon. Thing is, I use one, maybe two, 2.6 oz bottles a year. Let's go with the high estimate of 2 bottles a year.

5.2 oz of mix per year
    128 oz per gallon
    128/5.2 = 24+ years

Buying a gallon of mix will last me until my kids are done with college. I still have tons of it left over from buying the saws and the trimmer. Bought the HP Ultra 6 pack to get the extra warranty coverage.

With that said, anybody know how much an actual gallon of HP Ultra mix costs?
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    That's why i bout the 6 pack/ warranty.
    But will be buying a quart or gallon & refill the bottles.

Went thru about 8 or 9 gallons last year.
    Have other than a chainsaw to feed too.

I'm a cheap skate ;)
  5. fabsroman

Loc:
    8 or 9 gallons of mix? You have got to be doing something for a living with this stuff or using a ton of it in play vehicles. That is just one heck of a gasoline bill using that much mix. At 50:1, that means you used almost 500 gallons of gasoline. At current prices, that is close to $2k in gas for feeding everything.

Would love to know what else you are feeding with 500 gallons of gasoline.
  6. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    LOL
    Of mixed gasoline.

Lets say 26 oz if 2 cycle oil.

Sometimes more if I fly much.
    2 hours uses about 6 gallons of 50:1 mix gasoline:
    100_7751.JPG
  7. fabsroman

Loc:
    Man, that is awesome. Made me wonder if I could do something like that here in Maryland. Highly doubt it though. Would probably require a cavity search, psychological screening, and $10k in licensing and insurance.
  8. wh401

wh401 New Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    +1 Amsoil saber professional oil. I've been running it for the last 5 years in all my 2 stroke stuff...chainsaws, leaf blowers, trimmer. The leaf blower and trimmer are Stihl 4-mix products with OHV's. They're very particular about having two much oil and they've run great for me on this stuff. I also add a little bit of Sta-Bil or Seafoam to each mix to promote stabilization of the fuel.
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

I dump 1/2 a qt in a 5 gallon and call it good. No need to get all anal measuring down to the 0.001 oz. ;)
  10. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I have one of those tall shot glasses with a scratch/sharpie line for measuring out my own. I originally wanted a test tube but this was about the same (tall and narrow makes it more precise...and can see through it), sits flat on the workbench, and is much easier to come by. The sharpie line wears off after a while, but there's I scratched a line with a file that I use to re-mark it every so often.

I dumped a 1 gallon mix container in and marked it.....now I just buy a quart and am good for a couple years.

I used to buy the one-shots, but they want crazy money for those.

Easy.
  11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

"48 packets of Saber Pro on the wall, 48 packets of oil!! Take one down, pass it around, 47 packets ......"

Yeah I'm good for awhile. ;)