gas stove replacement help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgehog

Oct 16, 2012
Thinking of replacing my napoleon gas stove with a pellet stove. enviro mini is what i had in mind.

I just moved into this house and the previous owner was a fan of propane. .89 a liter (north of 4$ gal) doesn't do it for me.

id like to vent the stove to the roof like that gas stove does now, but my local dealer said something about a shorter run being better for some reason?

can i not just remove the aluminum gas liner and replace it with an appropriate pellet liner? does the oak have to go up the chimney , or can i drill it strait out the wall.

any other issues or complications you can see with my set up?

Thanks
house217.jpg
house147.jpg

house147.jpg
[/IMG]
house216.jpg

You can remove the Gas liner amd install a Pellet vent Liner. I would go all the way to the top (doing what your dealer said, may be o.k., but check code first. It may need to go all the way up). In my opinion, its better to go all the way and also easier to clean that way.

As for the OAK. I think its needed and can be done either way. You can run it beside the liner to the top (if there is room) or drill through the brick and take the shorter route.

What stoves are you looking at?

BTW- Beautiful home...

Shouldn't be any issue running a pellet liner....I'd run it all the way to the top. As for the OAK, either way will work. Directly out through the brick is the way I'd do it.

Also, that wood floor "hearth" has to go....only approved fire proof materials are allowed....stone, brick, ceramic tile, etc. Check owners manual for size needed to give proper clearances.

BTW, the Mini is a real nice stove, but seems a bit small for a home of that size. An Empress would look great in that location. My fav would be the red like in the pic:

www.enviro.com/fireplace-products/pellet/freestanding-fireplace.html#empress

my local dealer sells harman and enviro. he claims harmans quality is down. i like the mini by enviro becuase its for back up heat. i have geothermal heating. the gas stove pictured is a 34k btu unit. Mostly i need a quite stove that is reliable thats not going to cook us out of the family room.

Minimum burn rate on the enviro mini is 12,000 btu! Pretty toasty. Several Harmans are less than 7,000.

any recomendations then? also what do people thonk about the dealers tail of harmans quality not being as good as enviro?

Be a bit news to those of us with them here. I think there is a dealer or two here that could chip in. The stove design is good and the fans and motors are common. Warranty is good but is backed by the dealers. Unless there is a issue with a batch of control boards? This inquiring mind wants to know as I invested in two this year.

could be that the dealer wants me to by the enviro for other reasons , kick backs or sellers bonus who knows ...

The flag on your deck leads me to think your Canadian!? I know there are some import duties that may make stove prices vary.

Plus Enviros are made in Canada.

Nothing wrong with Either brand. But I think your dealer is drinking the Kool Aid

ya im thinking the Enviro mini or possibly a multi fuel stove for more options in the future. Never know if an alternative to wood pellets will spring up

Does anyone know of a good online dealer for stoves and chimney kits (Canadian preferred for duty/shipping concerns) if not online the best place to shop for them in Southern Ontario?

The flag on your deck leads me to think your Canadian!? I know there are some import duties that may make stove prices vary.

Canadian yes. The picture is old though, the flag is down as is the deck. replaced it this summer past. The flag never made it back up.

I have to agree with DexterDay. Probably a way better price structure for him to push the Enviro. I know the exchange rate has been doing some wild swings. Now that we know where your from someone may better aid your quest. I was hoping that was not snow yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.