Gas stove stove site -> Wood stove site

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodstove_novice

Dec 29, 2014
Ham Lake, MN
We recently purchased a home with a platform for what used to be a gas stove. There is a gas line hook up which is capped and runs along the floor board to the stove platform site. Can we install a wood stove on this platform with the gas line being so close? It seems like there was a wood stove there originally and they replaced it with a gas stove. The stove pipe is to code for a wood stove unit.

As long as you treat it as a "combustible" you would probably pass code. May get tricky though since it's just a capped line. I.e. fuel source can't be within 10' of an ignition source....

However, it would probably be of minimal effort and cost to have a licensed gas tech (plumber w proper documentation) to cut it or remove it from the area and cap it off outside of the house.

I would contact your local town office and see what they require.
My house in NH required nothing, house in CT required permits and inspection. Much easier to know before hand what is required.
Are you doing the install or having someone do it?
I wouldn't want that gas line near my fire, legal or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.