gasification fireboxes for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eventhorizon

Jan 5, 2013
Hello

I'm in the stages of a new build design and I'd like a high efficiency fireplace such as a masonry heating fireplace that uses gasification with a glass fronted firebox in lieu of a regular fireplace. The place where I'm building has to comply with certain codes and if I want a wood burning set up then it had to be a high efficiency set up. I've come across one such version

Www.ecofirebox.org

But they are out of my budget for the set up. Can anyone recommend an alternative please? My Google skills are not showing anything. Also what would be a reasonable budget for this?

This isn't the sole method of heating the home. It's mostly for personal preference and for heating the downstairs open floor plan. About 1,500sq in Raleigh, NC so nothing extreme.

Many thanks

Most good EPA ZC fireplaces will do the job well. Look at BIS, Kozy, PE, Valcourt, etc.

Eventhorizon,
Thanks for the post. I have been looking for a unit like the ecofirebox for awhile. I agree with the premise of this manufacturer that a masonry fireplace has a certain appeal to many people. As you have found out that a true masonry fireplace is NOT a cheap date. This ecofirebox can help make the expense somewhat tolerable since you can get some heat value.
Having said that a zero clearance unit can offer similar benefits to this unit. I am a huge fan of a zero clearance unit because of the combination of visual appeal and heating output. The brands begreen suggested are all good units.

Status
Not open for further replies.