Gasification... Is it a 'real' word?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreBug

Minister of Fire
Oct 6, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
I hear this term 'Gasification' bandied about all the time when it comes to boilers. I have yet to see a real definition of what it means. Just wondering if it has been adopted to mean 'secondary burn' for wood boiler of is it equated with forced draft secondary burn.

According to Wikipedia this is the definition of Gasification

"Gasification is a process that converts organic or fossil based carbonaceous materials into carbon monoxide, hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane. This is achieved by reacting the material at high temperatures (>700°C), without combustion, with a controlled amount of oxygen and/or steam. The resulting gas mixture is called syngas (from synthesis gas or synthetic gas) or producer gas and is itself a fuel."

If you continue to read the Wiki article it really doesn't pertain to what people call it here.

I'm not asking to be a pain but really would like to know what the industry consider 'Gasification'.

My idea was something that heated biomass, released the gasses from it and caused it to reburn in a seperate area.

You are 100% correct that the term does not apply in an exact fashion to the boilers we label as such......

John Gulland, the industry expert, noted this in one of the audio podcasts we did together.

It would be more accurate to call the boilers we are discussing "fan forced downdraft high efficiency" models or something of the sort.

However, in an informal sense, "gasify" would mean to convert something to a gas.....and it could be said that is what these boilers do!
Of course, it could be said that virtually every wood stove and fireplace which burns with a flame does the same thing......

Thanks for the responses. That's what I thought.

Just saw John this past weekend at an HPBA function. The industry needs more like him...

Your definition on wiki is what a gasifacation wood boiler does. It smoders the wood in the top chamber to create the syngas and mixes an exact amount of air to ignite it in the secondary chamber at a high temp.

I believe the industry reference to gasification is pretty much what wikis explanation is, at least the part you copied.... I hava gasification outdoor boiler, and when i open the small door to my secondary burn chamber I see a blue flame coming out..and at the base of the blue flame there is no flame...so it really looks like its a second fire. Hope thise helps. Here is another definiation from victory gasworks:
"When biomass is heated in a low oxygen environment the plant matter releases oils, gases, charcoal, ash and water vapor. We use the heat of the charcoal to refine the gases, oils and water vapor into a hydrogen rich fuel gas, similar to natural gas. It is hot enough inside to split water vapor. " that defintion comes from this website where this guy is running cars and generators off a gasification "tank".

http://victorygasifier.com/faq,

Adios Pantalones said:
Smoke is not a gas, so if it's produced in the primary then I guess it's not gasification.

I think this is where there is confusion. If we want to be overly technical smoke is Particulate Matters 2.5 Micron and smaller. Gas is the volatile gas released due to heat from the wood.

I remember an experiment in chemistry class in high school. ( I was young then... had to walk 15 miles in the snow... shoeless... uphill both ways in order to make it to class... But I digress :) ). We had to heat up pieces a wood in a sealed beaker (no combustion) and measure the water displacement produced by the volatile gases being released. The by product of gasification is charcoal. I think that is what is meant by gasification.

However, that is splitting hair. I think in the industry it seems most people equate it with secondary burn (PM 2.5 & Gases) especially when talking about boilers. That's good enough for me.

I agree that it's splitting hairs, but it fits with the definition in the OP.

I love low tech stoves that gasify- including simple rocket stoves, two coffee can gasifiers, etc- because they are both elegant/simple technologies, and because they hold huge promise for making a big difference for folks in the "third world"

Adios Pantalones said:

I love low tech stoves that gasify- including simple rocket stoves, two coffee can gasifiers, etc- because they are both elegant/simple technologies, and because they hold huge promise for making a big difference for folks in the "third world"

+1

Go 'nucks?

FyreBug said:
Adios Pantalones said:

+1

Go 'nucks?

LOL- a little late for that my man.

Not to take away from a great team but... Bruins without Timmy = 'nucks in 5

Congrats for a great season!

Status
Not open for further replies.