gasifier light-off techniques?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all--

Let me start by saying that I am not asking how to start a fire. Done that, in Tarms, Sam Daniels, Waterfords, Hearthstones, etc. Done the "teepee" of kindling with newspaper underneath and a couple of logs above, and done the "top down" with the small stuff on top

But as someone new to gasifiers, it's apparent to me that you want to "pass go and get straight to a gasified burn" as fast as possible, and that would seem to involve both getting the main mass of fuel hot quickly, and also getting the refractory/ nozzle mass hot quickly so as to preheat the secondary air.

Can those of you with some operating experience with the "tried & true" downdraft gasifier designs (Tarm, EKO, Econoburn...) please share your observations and experiences on "best" ways to start the burn?

for example, what materials (paper, kindling, softwood, logs...?), in what amounts and what arrangement in the firebox (kindling on top or bottom?) do you use?

how long (based on time or observations) do you let the fire get underway via the "bypass to stack" updraft mode before you shut the damper and turn the blower on?

any other suggestions on how to "get the mojo workin' " as fast and as well as possible?

Thanks

Pretty sure there are a variety of techniques, most good. For me the goal was to get the fire going from a cold start and walk away as fast as possible. Don't need to sit around waiting for a fire go get going.

I build a small criss-cross, 4 layers, gaps between pieces in each layer, of small, very dry kindling. Then 2 sheets of knotted newspaper on top (top down method). Bypass open, light newspaper, start draft fan, leave both firebox and gasification chamber doors ajar. This will be burning well in 2-3 minutes.

Shut off draft fan, then add, front to back, about 6 smaller splits, space between each, start fan, continue to leave doors ajar for about another minute. Fire will be roaring. Shut door to gasification chamber, shut firebox door, shut bypass, and almost immediately flaming gas will be shooting through the nozzle into the gasification chamber. Give this another minute or two, open bypass, shut off draft fan, fill firebox (but not packed), draft fan on, shut bypass, walk away.

Total time: less than 10 minutes.

I take a paper bag and fill it with crumpled newspaper, some dry bark pieces and about half a dozen pinecones. I lay that on top of the nozzle. On top of it, I put a few more pieces of bark and some kindling. I light the bag and open the bottom door, closing the top door. Once it gets burning pretty good, I'll toss in a few bigger chunks and let that burn for about 5 minutes. Then I toss in a few bigger pieces, close the doors, close the bypass damper and turn on the controller. Usually, gasification takes off at this point. You can come back at any time and fill the firebox up, but I usually let it burn for another 15 or 20 minutes before doing the big fill.

On a typical morning, this is all accomplished between getting breakfast and getting ready for work. If I start the process at 7:15, I'm doing the final loading and heading for work by 7:45.

If there are still coals in the firebox, which happens quite often, then I can skip the bit with the pinecones, bark and paper and get the whole thing going again in about 10 minutes.

Thanks Jim- I agree that the goal is to have it be fast, convenient, and effective, and your method makes sense. If others have "tips" gained from operating experience, share away, too.

Sounds like my new gasifier will actually be quicker and less messy to fire up than my existing old-tech wood hot air furnace, which has a firebox way down low, so I end up stooping and frequently getting ash or soot on arm, etc., while starting up a new fire or getting it underway.

I'm assuming you should be able keep the fire going every 6 to 8 hours(depending on wood and demand), just keep stoking the fire with wood. For example,---------- stoke the fire, go to bed at 8pm. get up at 130am, put more wood in the firebox and go to work. my son before he goes to school(7/730am feeds the firebox again. Wife/son will check at 2/3pm and add more wood. I'll check it again at 7/8pm,and the cycles repeats itself. That way shouldn't have to keep re-lighting the fire and using up the kindlin' wood. We used up about 800gals of heating oil last year, but we had our woolies on most of the time. If this works as well as I think it should we're going to be warmer this year.
----------------- I grew up in a household that had 3 wood stoves, and we'd only burn good hardwood. Very seldom had to start a fire, unless you let the fire go out to give every thing a good cleaning. Hoping this gasifier will work the same. Please comment...off the woods(damn its hot out!)...I'll check later. ----------- :) Sorry to high jack the post

Typically, last winter, I'd load the boiler up around 11:00 p.m. and there would be a bed of coals (at least) at 7:00 the following morning. That's probably because I don't have storage hooked up and my boiler probably idled a lot at night. So maybe you trade a little efficiency for convenience.

In the colder season, once I started a fire I just had to stir the coals and add wood. I have storage but just added wood twice a day, amount depending on temp.
leaddog

Eric Johnson said:
Typically, last winter, I'd load the boiler up around 11:00 p.m. and there would be a bed of coals (at least) at 7:00 the following morning. That's probably because I don't have storage hooked up and my boiler probably idled a lot at night. So maybe you trade a little efficiency for convenience.

Good point on the convenience..but I'll probably go with the storage unit..so i hope this works well. I'd rather not start fires every day. But I will deal with the learning curve... I may have to put a frig in the garage :coolsmile: Again..please comment on this...I may want to go without the storage

Status
Not open for further replies.