Gasket/Damper help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kandk502

Hearth Supporter
Dec 16, 2010
Middle TN
Hi there,
GREAT FORUM! We purchased a used Grandma Fisher in great shape. The brick is in excellent condition as is all the metal. It has been cleaned up and is ready to paint with high temp paint. We bought the duravent double thickness pipe and will be installing the stove in the corner of the diningroom and it will rise up and out the second story roof. We bought a section of the duravent with a damper. Is a damper necessary for the stove (back vent)? We will be trying to locate a fire screen to ocassionally use with the stove.

I have read all 12 pages here. I am still a bit confused about a gasket. The stove came to us with a gasket installed in the door grooves. We were going to replace it but after reading the forum I am not sure if we should, or if it was supposed to have been originally place in the groove on the stove itself?

We are installing a sheet metal heat shield to the entire corner area behind the stove. We have 1 inch spacers and will be raising the metal off the floor at least one inch for air floor. Is one inch high enough or should we raise it higher? What kind of clearance from the stove to the walls will we need?

I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum. We can't wait to fire up this stove. It came with outward facing chrome feet, has the four fin vent dials, and has no stars on the doors. Any idea what year it was made? Thanks sooooo much for your help and to all of those who have posted such great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.