Wood-Fired Sauna Stove-Pipe Damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MegCog

May 2, 2022
Michigan
Hi there! We recently bought a property that came with an old, Finnish-style wood-fired sauna. The stove was super rusted out so we just bought a new one to replace it. When our handyman installed it, he added what looked to us like a clean-out, but he says is actually a damper. Apparently, the guys at the hardware store told him that this kind of damper would be better than the in-line style for a sauna. Does anyone know anything about this type of jut-out on the sauna stove pipe? If it is a damper, then how would you use it? What would make it safer than an in-line damper?

Appreciate any insight you might be able to give - thanks.

tempImageao5Gw2.png tempImagehHs7pK.png tempImagezHlu6r.png

Hi there! We recently bought a property that came with an old, Finnish-style wood-fired sauna. The stove was super rusted out so we just bought a new one to replace it. When our handyman installed it, he added what looked to us like a clean-out, but he says is actually a damper. Apparently, the guys at the hardware store told him that this kind of damper would be better than the in-line style for a sauna. Does anyone know anything about this type of jut-out on the sauna stove pipe? If it is a damper, then how would you use it? What would make it safer than an in-line damper?

Appreciate any insight you might be able to give - thanks.

View attachment 317759 View attachment 317760 View attachment 317761
It's a barometric damper and it doesn't belong on a woodstove vent

Would it ever be appropriate on a sauna stove? The men at the hardware specified that it was what we ought to install for a sauna stove.

If it doesn't belong on a woodstove vent (pipe?), then what would be its typical application? Do we need to have our handyman replace the pipe with a normal one with a key damper?

Trying to figure out the game plan moving forward.

Would it ever be appropriate on a sauna stove? The men at the hardware specified that it was what we ought to install for a sauna stove.

If it doesn't belong on a woodstove vent (pipe?), then what would be its typical application? Do we need to have our handyman replace the pipe with a normal one with a key damper?

Trying to figure out the game plan moving forward.
No a sauna stove is just a stove and you don't want dilution air going into the pipe. The application is for coal oil or gas. Yes it should be replaced with a regular damper

Reactions: Todd
Thanks for all your help so far.

Would the dilution air/barometric damper cause any issues? We just installed this stove and so if we are going to redo it, then I'll probably have to really advocate with my husband and our contractor to get it switched out. It would be helpful to know if it's a must do or just a preference thing.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Would the dilution air/barometric damper cause any issues? We just installed this stove and so if we are going to redo it, then I'll probably have to really advocate with my husband and our contractor to get it switched out. It would be helpful to know if it's a must do or just a preference thing.
Dilution air drastically lowers the flue temp causing creosote buildup. Also it looks like your pipe is upside down

Sauna stove pipe is supposed to be upside down. That way when you throw water on it it won’t leak down the seams and put out the fire.

Sauna stove pipe is supposed to be upside down. That way when you throw water on it it won’t leak down the seams and put out the fire.
Interesting thanks

Really? Isn't the water supposed to be only poured on the rocks? Also, doesn't the stovepipe still insert into the flue collar? Considering that is right next to the rocks I would think that would be the most likely entry point for water.

I note that most of the sauna stove installations on the Kuuma Lampa stove site appear to be done with double-wall stove pipe. That solves the issue and is safer.

FWIW, this sauna how-to site shows crimp down toward the stove.

Reactions: bholler
Really? Isn't the water supposed to be only poured on the rocks? Also, doesn't the stovepipe still insert into the flue collar? Considering that is right next to the rocks I would think that would be the most likely entry point for water.

I note that most of the sauna stove installations on the Kuuma Lampa stove site appear to be done with double-wall stove pipe. That solves the issue and is safer.

FWIW, this sauna how-to site shows crimp down toward the stove.
Here’s what is says in my Nippa manual. Their flue collar is designed this way. I had a hell of a time figuring how to stuff the male end into the collar til I reread the manual lol

The stove pipe for a sauna stove is located on the OUTSIDE of the flue, which avoids water getting into the stove when pouring water onto the rocks!
Stove pipe for a room heater or wood stove is located on the INSIDE of the flue, allowing creosote to flow downward.
Stove pipe for a sauna stove should be standard black pipe. To flatten the “Pittsburg Seam” on the first section, join the tube at the seam, lay it flat on a hard surface and using a hammer, pound the seam about 1 1⁄2” up from the crimped end. This will still be a tight fit, but will allow the pipe to fit OVER the flue.
If you wish to use insulated pipe for a sauna stove, the first course must be standard black pipe. Insulated pipe will not fit on the outside of the flue.
Wood stoves or room heaters may use insulated pipe OR standard black pipe. At the ceiling for either stoves remember to use insulated pipe fittings!

Oh and I tried double wall on my flue collar and couldn’t get it to work without modifying it