Question about installing double wall pipe to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

michael-p

Feb 9, 2023
New York
I have a lamppa kuuma sauna stove. The smoke collar is 5-1/2" long. I am trying to install selkirk double wall pipe on to it, so I bought the selkirk DSP6SA-1 stove adapter. The length of this that would slip over the smoke collar is only 5" long, and in any case I can only slip it 1-1/2" down on the smoke collar. But even if I could slip it down all the way it wouldn't bottom out on the stove. So I think what I have to do is put this as far down as I can on the smoke collar (1-1/2") and then use the holes in it as pilots to drill NEW holes in the smoke collar. It seems kinda crazy to drill new holes in the smoke collar of a wood stove.

The only other alternative I can see is to start with single wall pipe, and then transition to double wall as I approach the ceiling. But it seems like this is frowned on or not possible for some reason I don't understand.

What would you do in this situation? I called the manufacturer, and they just said to use single wall pipe and seemingly couldn't conceive of wanting to have double wall directly out of the stove. Double wall should be a no-brainer for the close clearances most saunas need to adhere to due to their small size.

20230413_134714.jpg 20230413_134648.jpg

The main concern with the single-wall vs double-wall in this short run of pipe is clearance. Single-wall needs 18" vs double-wall at 6". The stove flue collar is long and unshielded. Is that because rocks are going to be placed around it up to 4-5"? Otherwise, even with the DSP on top, there will be 6" of unshielded pipe.

1.5" is ok for seating the adapter. Do you need a DSP adapter or will the stovepipe sit snugly in the flue collar without it?

I was using the adapter because I am supposed to install a damper (selkirk double wall damper kit) and understand this should be installed as close to the flue outlet as possible(?) I suppose I could just try putting the damper kit directly on the flue collar or get a short length of DSP pipe? FWIW the adapter fits tightly on the flue in terms of it feeling "solid" but there is a gap where a portion of the inner pipe meets the flue collar. I was going to go adapter --> damper --> telescoping DSP pipe --> chimney adapter/chimney.

You are correct that the rocks will be piled up 5" - 6" completely covering the flue collar. There are also wall heat shields that extend vertically 12" past the height of the flue collar.

adapter --> damper --> telescoping DSP pipe --> chimney adapter/chimney.
That's my setup. And then the adapter to T pipe of chimney.

Actually my damper is out right now because I need to extend my hearth pad just a tad to allow for the damper to mount to the stove collar and meet clearances.

That manufacturer questioning double-wall stovepipe seems weird. It's done for close clearance.

I was using the adapter because I am supposed to install a damper (selkirk double wall damper kit) and understand this should be installed as close to the flue outlet as possible(?) I suppose I could just try putting the damper kit directly on the flue collar or get a short length of DSP pipe? FWIW the adapter fits tightly on the flue in terms of it feeling "solid" but there is a gap where a portion of the inner pipe meets the flue collar. I was going to go adapter --> damper --> telescoping DSP pipe --> chimney adapter/chimney.

You are correct that the rocks will be piled up 5" - 6" completely covering the flue collar. There are also wall heat shields that extend vertically 12" past the height of the flue collar.
Is your flue tall enough to be needing a damper?
Sauna's I know of are generally not so tall that they have too much draft...?

It'll be ok, it's not a secondary combustion stove so a short flue system will work. It doesn't need a strong draft. The air is directly fed to the fire chamber. Our old F602 would draft ok on a 6' flue. If the sauna has 10' flue height it should draft well.

Here's a demo of the Kuuma with a 4' stovepipe. It will run, but as expected, the reload on the kindling fire results in a fair amount of smoke spillage. This is where more flue height helps.

Last edited:

Hello! I'm looking to do the same thing with a Kuuma stove. Did
adapter --> damper --> telescoping DSP pipe --> chimney adapter/chimney
End up working well for you? Seems like the easiest option, but the telescoping section is special order, so I thought I'd check. Thanks!