Double checking-attaching stove pipe directly to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

idahogal

Nov 26, 2023
Idaho
I’m just verifying I can attach double wall pipe directly to the stove without a collar or adapter? If so, should I seal it with gasket or stove gasket cement?

This depends on the stove and the brand of double-wall stovepipe. If possible, test it out at the store. With a good fit, no cement or gasket is needed. If that's not possible, then measure the flue collar and compare to the stovepipe's inner and outer diameters.

This depends on the stove and the brand of double-wall stovepipe. If possible, test it out at the store. With a good fit, no cement or gasket is needed. If that's not possible, then measure the flue collar and compare to the stovepipe's inner and outer diameters.
It’s already bought and on the flue collar. It looks like it fits fine but I have no idea what I’m doing so wanted to verify

It may be ok. Pictures of the flue collar and chimney solution are welcome.

That's right, I recall now, this is for the tent. Does it transition to chimney pipe before exiting?

Correct!
Nope, double wall all the way up and out
That is quite dangerous. Double-wall stove pipe is still quite radiant and it is not designed or allowed for outdoor usage. It has no insulation, only an air gap between layers. This should have been done with chimney pipe which has real insulation and a much safter 2" clearance.

It may be ok. Pictures of the flue collar and chimney solution are welcome.
IMG_6177.jpeg

That is quite dangerous. Double-wall stove pipe is still quite radiant and it is not designed or allowed for outdoor usage. It has no insulation, only an air gap between layers. This should have been done with chimney pipe which has real insulation and a much safter 2" clearance.
Oh no…that’s what I was asking the other day
So normally, hot tents just use single wall pipe. I thought I was ok with double wall

The example in30WCF's posting shows 5" chimney pipe. Unfortunately he referred to it as double-wall which probably was confusing. #9 His tent has double-wall chimney pipe, not stove pipe.

I also mentioned using chimney pipe here #20 and here #33 but I should have clarified the prior usage in the thread.

This confusion is getting so common I think I need to make a special posting just on this topic.

Reactions: all night moe
Me and every other hillbilly chasing elk are using single wall pipe.

Reactions: idahogal
Just for reference.
This is our tent.

They sell these stoves

I use the pipe they sell. While we arnt packing in on horses, that’s the idea here. All the pipe in a tidy bundle so it fits on a horse or mule.

Last edited:
I did say double wall pipe would be better than single wall. It just has to be. I can always touch my double wall in my house with out getting blisters.
But again. I just need it for a week or two out of the year. Single wall is standard practice in all the camps I’ve been in or around. Some outfitter guides do set up for the whole winter and run 24/7 for elk and mule deer and bear and whatever else.

I like the idea of the double wall pipe if you are customizing the jack in the tent roof. It will help with creosote build up which can be a problem in tents since they usually in single wall pipe rather than class A on the exterior.
Single wall pipe outside the tent when it’s 8 degrees F can collect some crud.

You likely won’t find a cap made to fit double wall stove pipe, but could rig one with an adapter.

The double wall 6” won’t fit your 6” jack since double wall will be closer to 7” or 7.25” outside diameter. But if you can customize it or get a special ordered jack flap…maybe.

Our tent has a 5” jack and single wall nesting pipe is snug.

View attachment 319601View attachment 319602
Sorry if I was confusing. I think I referenced each term correctly and as I intended and even mentioned that Class A is not commonplace in that circle.

Let me clarify that I’m not disagreeing or arguing with bgreen. His points are valid. I’m just speaking to my experiences and what commonly takes place on many folks hunting trips, what gear is sold and supplied in those circles.
We can look back and see I also referenced that me hunting is different than the tent houses and yurts with real chimneys, and I said something about dudes just doing stuff to get it done, and bourbon.

What’s the collar look like without the pipe in it. I had to trim a little of the crimped section so it would go all the way down. There are tabs inside my flue collar that stop me from hitting the wool blanket and baffle. Trimming also got me to the wider/upper section of the crimped area so it would self center and fit tighter on the inside the stove collar.

What’s the collar look like without the pipe in it. I had to trim a little of the crimped section so it would go all the way down. There are tabs inside my flue collar that stop me from hitting the wool blanket and baffle. Trimming also got me to the wider/upper section of the crimped area so it would self center and fit tighter on the inside the stove collar.
I’m just going to refer to all your comments on this as it’s a pain to quote all on my phone.
The stove pipe snugly went down on the stove collar. Outfitters run for months at a time with single wall pipes through their stove jack flaps. I can’t imagine that double wall wouldn’t be even marginally better.
I guess at this point it is what it is. It’s installed., I lit it. It’s got great draw, I did not notice any smoke in the tent.

Me and every other hillbilly chasing elk are using single wall pipe.
I understand that, though it's a bit different when talking about a 24/7 fire in one's 365 living quarters. When lives are involved I will err on the side of caution and safety.

I understand that, though it's a bit different when talking about a 24/7 fire in one's 365 living quarters. When lives are involved I will err on the side of caution and safety.
I can always stand to be corrected.