Flexible liner directly on stove (no black pipe between stove and flexible)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heritage

Dec 24, 2023
Europe
I have a simple question, can I fit the flexible liner directly on the stove (with an adapter)? It is a double-walled flexible pipe.

I’ve attached a picture I found on the web. Essentially I’d like to know if I can put that connector directly on the stove? So not putting the black pipe in between.

I’m putting a stove in an existing fireplace and it is pretty tight (picture also attached) and it would be really challenging to put in the black pipe.

Merry Christmas btw :)

IMG_2500.jpeg IMG_2498.jpeg IMG_2452.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kcmclellan
The liner adapter can connect directly to the stove. It should be a snug fit into the stove's flue collar.

I'm not a fan of the adapter shown. It looks like it will pinch in the liner instead of leaving it round and tight like a band clamp would.

liner appliance adapter straight.png

The liner adapter can connect directly to the stove. It should be a snug fit into the stove's flue collar.

I'm not a fan of the adapter shown. It looks like it will pinch in the liner instead of leaving it round and tight like a band clamp would.

View attachment 321358
Thanks!

It will be quite easy to connect the flexible to the stove, if I need to use those black pipes it will be quite hard to do with several short bends.

This is not the exact adapter btw (I have not ordered it yet). But thanks for the tip! I will keep it in mind when I’ll order.

If it makes the install easier, these adapters also come in 15º and 30º angles.
liner adapt elbows.png

Let the flex do the upper 30º and use a 30º angled adapter for the bottom return and connection to the stove.

Reactions: kcmclellan
Let the flex do the upper 30º and use a 30º angled adapter for the bottom return and connection to the stove.
That is a great idea, I didn’t think of that.

But is there any particular reason why I would do that instead of connecting the flexible directly to the stove?

The way I look at it is this is fire, inside your house, with you and your family, so don't pinch pennies, especially over a relative inexpensive part.

Reactions: Jeff Jay
That is a great idea, I didn’t think of that.

But is there any particular reason why I would do that instead of connecting the flexible directly to the stove?
It will still need a straight appliance adapter in order to secure the flex but that will be under tension. Using a 30º flex adapter will let the flex follow its natural curve into the elbow without putting tension on the stove top connection. Direct connecting the flex to the stove would mean puncturing the thin flex with screws. That's not a good idea.

It will still need a straight appliance adapter in order to secure the flex but that will be under tension. Using a 30º flex adapter will let the flex follow its natural curve into the elbow without putting tension on the stove top connection. Direct connecting the flex to the stove would mean puncturing the thin flex with screws. That's not a good idea.
Alright, thanks for the info.

I think I misunderstood, I thought the 30 degree part was just the black pipe with 30 degrees. They sell those over here. I’ve attached a picture.

But I now realize the 30 degree part in your picture is a flex adapter by itself.

So when I said “connecting the flexible directly to the stove” I meant the straight adapter directly to to the stove. Or putting a 30 degree black pipe in between the stove and the straight adapter.

IMG_2513.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the straight adapter with band clamp
liner appliance adapter straight.png

It's probably dependent on your install . Both my stoves use flex directly to an adapter like bg's above. For me, as it sounds like for you, that was the best solution without putting tension on the liner etc . I think that's what these posts are saying but it's a bit confusing. You just need some sort of adapter between the flex and stove collar

Thanks for all the reply's. I think this thread got a little derailed when I mentioned putting the flexible directly on the stove, I didn't mean that. Let me explain :)

When @begreen attached the picture below, I thought this was a 30 degree single walled black pipe in a different colour. I didn't realize this was a flexible adapter with 30 degrees.

321386-fd982d279622bbb05aa30dc1ef65c0d3.jpg.png

I'm from Northern-Europe and we don't have these 30 degree adapters here locally. I would need to order them from another country. The straight flex adapters are readily available here.

I CAN get my hands on a 30 degree single walled black pipe:

321454-81cd2540ab538bb51bfa8c9780b27370.jpg

Does it make sense to put this black pipe in with a straight flexible adapter?

So it would look like this: Flexible liner > straight flex adapter > 30 degree black pipe > stove.

In the USA black pipe is thinner and not allowed in an Insert install where you can't see the pipe, stainless steel is the way to go for that install. Not sure what your install is but if using flex a fireplace is involved somehow.
I’m putting a wood stove in an existing open fireplace, see the third picture in my initial post.

Are you saying that I can't put in the flexible liner to the stove with an adapter?
A stainless one, yes. The black pipe you pictured is steel, here in the US that can't go in a fireplace on an insert stove, it has to be stainless...and since you are using a flex liner, the 30* liner/stove adapter would be what you'd need...the only other option that comes to mind would be the straight liner adapter (that you said you can get readily) and a stainless steel version of that black elbow that you have pictured...that would work too, if you have the room/height to make it fit

A stainless one, yes. The black pipe you pictured is steel, here in the US that can't go in a fireplace on an insert stove, it has to be stainless...and since you are using a flex liner, the 30* liner/stove adapter would be what you'd need...the only other option that comes to mind would be the straight liner adapter (that you said you can get readily) and a stainless steel version of that black elbow that you have pictured...that would work too, if you have the room/height to make it fit
Alright, many thanks for clarifying. I understand now. :)

It's pretty weird, because all the installation guides I've found here in my country say that you need the black pipe directly on the stove. It doesn't really make sense to me, because the flexible is higher quality (double walled VS single walled). I think it has something to do with spreading the heat better, I think the black pipe will give off a lot extra heat? I should note that these 'black pipes' over here are 2MM steel.

According to regulations over here, the 'black pipe' can only be in sight. When you want to go through a floor, regulations say you need to switch to a double walled insulated stainless steel pipe.

In my case I already have a double walled insulated stainless steel pipe going from the old fireplace to the roof. However, I would need to do a lot of demolition work to use the existing pipe, so putting a flexible liner through it will be WAY easier.

Rules are going to vary with the installation and country. So will the manufactured options to finish the connection.