gasket on thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
I just got my pipe order in for the pellet stove i'm installing this weekend. There is a rubber like gasket stuck on the inside of the interior section of the thimble where the pipe goes thru.I'm wondering why and if it will melt from the heat.Has anyone seen this?It is Simpson Duravent Pellet Pro.Just wondering why you would gasket the inside and not the outside section

SmokeyTheBear said:
Read the instructions for installing it.

That rubber is likely high temperature silicon.

No it is definately a gasket. It's about 1 1/2 in. wide.It's not centered on the opening and i can see adhesive on the bottom where it sticks to the thimble.You could pull it off if you wanted.I called Duravent and tech. support says it belongs there.Just don't see what purpose it has but then again i'm not an engineer.It looks like the stuff you stick to a door to stop drafts.

There are high temperature silicon gaskets that are used in place of RTV to seal venting.

They look like rubber, they are gaskets, and they don't melt.

SmokeyTheBear said:
There are high temperature silicon gaskets that are used in place of RTV to seal venting.

Thanks for the info Smoky.Never saw this stuff before.The only high temp silicone i've seen came in a tube. Could you use this for a stove door gasket?

urkiddin said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Thanks for the info Smoky.Never saw this stuff before.The only high temp silicone i've seen came in a tube. Could you use this for a stove door gasket?

I don't think there is any rated at that temperature but I'm not certain.

Stuff suitable for venting actually lights off when used in the fire box.

SmokeyTheBear said:
urkiddin said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

alot of makers have used red high temp silicone as door gasket cement over the years, holds up in pellet stoves ok, but can turn to power in a really hot woodstove

Wood Heat Stoves said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
urkiddin said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

alot of makers have used red high temp silicone as door gasket cement over the years, holds up in pellet stoves ok, but can turn to power in a really hot woodstove

As gasket cement for holding the gasket in place RTV would probably work fine because the gasket braid would be between the silicon and the firebox, as a gasket I'm not so sure as the temperature rating isn't even close to what would be needed. I'll stick to the higher temperature rated products for use as gasket and gasket cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.