Gasket replacement help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
was wondering what everybody prefers Rutland cement or high temp silicone
Cement I don’t like RTV going into cat I have used RTV in an old stove seem harder to clean out the groove using RTV

Reactions: kennyp2339
I will only use silicone. I find it holds up much better than cement. And I have never had any trouble removing it.

Many modern stoves appear to use RTV now. I was reluctant because of a past bad experience, but that was with Permatex Blue RTV. It hardened up better than furnace cement and was a bear to get out of the gasket channel a few years later. Last year I tried red Permatex for the first time. That seems to be working well for folks. Ask me in a few years how I like it.

FYI We also had someone recently report about removing a gasket set with Permatex Ultra Copper RTV. He said it came out nicely.

What about this?

Attachments

• IMG_2154.PNG
    IMG_2154.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 138
I use the Permatex High temp Copper. At 700 degrees rated, gasket maker. I just took a gasket out I did 5 years ago with it. It was soft and pliable. It stuck well to the door. It scraped out, easily with a screw driver.

I had the side door off and the door burn plate off to do the gasket. There is a insulation blanket under the plate. I had a new piece of insulation. I used the permatex the glue it to the burn plate. That will have some extreme heat on it. I'll look at it after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen