Rutland high temp silicone for a temporarily fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The front panels of my Vigilant is leaking air, so it is time for a rebuild, no biggie there, but in the meantime it is hard to control it, it is sucking enough that unless the damper is flipped to horizontal burn it will run away, i used furnace cement to seal around the top edge and it worked great until it fell off.. no surprise.
Will the Rutland 2,000 degree silicone really hold up? Is there a better product?
I seem to remember having alignment issues when I reassembled it last time, I got it on right, but I think I squished the cement out of it out when I put the top on.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 2000 degree silicone. If there is, I would like to know about it so please provide a link.

Are you talking about stove and gasket cement or furnace cement?

I once use some furnace cement for metal to metal, and it was surprisingly difficult to break apart. I thought I would be able to tap the pieces apart with a hammer but, no way. If you clean off any ash or creosote and rough up the area with coarse sandpaper, it should stick and would last for a while.

The stuff I used was Meeco's Red Devil furnace cement from Menard's. Menard's gets most of my money.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 2000 degree silicone. If there is, I would like to know about it so please provide a link.

Are you talking about stove and gasket cement or furnace cement?

I once use some furnace cement for metal to metal, and it was surprisingly difficult to break apart. I thought I would be able to tap the pieces apart with a hammer but, no way. If you clean off any ash or creosote and rough up the area with coarse sandpaper, it should stick and would last for a while.

The stuff I used was Meeco's Red Devil furnace cement from Menard's. Menard's gets most of my money.
You are right, when i went and looked st what i had, it is 500 degree silicone and 2,000 degree gasket cement. It seemed pretty hot for silicone, which is why i was nervous. I used stove and gasket cement seal the gap, and it worked, but after a few heat cycles fell out. What’s the difference between furnace cement and stove and gasket adhesive?

I don't really know. I have only used furnace cement and refractory cement. Both seemed about the same to me but one is for masonry and the other can be used on masonry and metal.