gasket replacement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
I'm going to be replacing the gaskets on my 10-cpm in the near future, possibly this afternoon. How long do I need to let the adhesive cure for before I can restart the stove? I know the cure time is 24 hours, but does that mean not opening the door for 24 hours, or not burning for 24 hours? Thanks.

You mean the door & window glass gaskets????? .....there shouldn't be any reason for you to be replacing them yet, unless they got physically damaged somehow..

My 10-cpm is an '08 model, and I got it in '09 and haven't had to replace those gaskets yet.

IIRC - He got this unit used of CL. The Previous Owner may have not been a kind person??

Shortest amount of time I ever waited, was about an hour. Some I have let go overnight. Others, I needed the heat and had to get it done.

I dont use the included cement in the "kits" sold at the stores either. I have been using High Temp RTV (750°) and its done very well. Much more pliable and easier to remove and clean-up the next time you replaced them.

I'm replacing the door gasket. The window gasket looks ok yet. The door gasket failed the dollar bill test in multiple locations. It really doesn't look that bad, so I was pretty surprised that it was loose in multiple spots. The ash pan gasket and hopper gasket are getting replaced too, as those look sorta rough. That might be my OCD showing though...

If you check the manual, it actually says to replace the door gasket every two years on the 10-cpm.

Good memory Dexter. I'll have a go with the RTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.