Gasket Replacement - Still Too Loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonross14

Oct 10, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
Hi everyone -- I have a Lopi Flush Wood Insert, the older model with the double doors (manual here: http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/100-01157.pdf). It was pre-installed in a house I bought, and I've had one winter with it. It was great but I noticed the wood did burn quickly. This year, when I tried the dollar gasket trick before burning I noticed I was able to pull the dollar bill through very easily everywhere except by the hinges, so I decided to replace the gasket.

I got 3/8" gasket (as the manual indicated) and gasket cement and replaced the gasket. I removed all of the prior gasket beforehand. I let the new stuff set 24 hours and then did a burn, but it did not go so well. The house got smoky (only at the beginning of the fire, might have been a bad log but it still shouldn't be sucked into the house) and the wood burned even quicker than last year. With the fire going I lit a lighter by the door edges and the flame sucked towards the doors. When the stove cooled I did the dollar trick again and I can still slide it through very easily.

What do you guys think I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to adjust the doors to make them tighter? I can't imagine that I have the wrong gasket, and replacement seemed pretty straightforward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, it's getting mighty chilly!

Last edited:
In your manual it shows how adjust door handle with washers!

OK so I removed one of the washers (there were 3, now there's 2) and that made it tighter, and it's tricky to latch the door since it's so tight but it makes it. However, I can still get the dollar bill through easily on the top left corner of the right door (near where it meets the left door). When I removed another washer to tighten it even more, the door cam now won't latch. Any other suggestions?

It could be that it will never be perfect, especially if one of the doors is just slightly warped. I'd go back to the 2 washer setup and try a fire. See if there is a notable improvement.

Grab the end of each open door see is there is movement up and down. Place a carpenters square eye ball the door see if its warped. To fine tune the washers go Lowes but first use a micrometer to see where your at. I have drilled out the hinge to correct slop and installed a larger bolt. I guess you could go larger on the rope gasket but then your back adjusting the washers

Just looked at your manual it shows a replaceable door hinge if yours are worn. Have you checked the liner to stove connection for leaks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
Grab the end of each open door see is there is movement up and down. Place a carpenters square eye ball the door see if its warped. To fine tune the washers go Lowes but first use a micrometer to see where your at. I have drilled out the hinge to correct slop and installed a larger bolt. I guess you could go larger on the rope gasket but then your back adjusting the washers

Just looked at your manual it shows a replaceable door hinge if yours are worn. Have you checked the liner to stove connection for leaks?

There really isn't movement up and down, the hinges go up and down the very slightest bit but the door doesn't really move. It doesn't seem to be warped either. Also no problem with the liner to stove. I may need to go with the larger gasket, but I will first do a burn in the next couple days and see if I notice a difference. Before tightening the door I could get the dollar through everywhere, now I can only get it through in that one spot.