gasket suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2006
w det burb
I am using a cast iron insert boot (rect. to round) to connect my woodburner insert to my flex liner; what kind of gasket material is required between the c.i. boot and steel (3/32") stove top? I'm using four 10-32 ss. screws to secure boot but I'm worried about warping/ expansion and contraction. I have to temp. remove a large sandstone above my lintel just to make the final connection because of super tight top clearances; so I want to do this right! Any advice about fiberglas rope, refr. cement, and hi-temp sealants would be much appreciated!!

chocolateporcupine said:
I am using a cast iron insert boot (rect. to round) to connect my woodburner insert to my flex liner; what kind of gasket material is required between the c.i. boot and steel (3/32") stove top? I'm using four 10-32 ss. screws to secure boot but I'm worried about warping/ expansion and contraction. I have to temp. remove a large sandstone above my lintel just to make the final connection because of super tight top clearances; so I want to do this right! Any advice about fiberglas rope, refr. cement, and hi-temp sealants would be much appreciated!!

Your manual for the stove &/or liner should state what to use. Mine stated furnace cement. About $4.50 at the local hardware store. I think I got the quart.

hey chocolate , good to see ya, enjoyed talking to you earlier today , im sure that you will see several suggestions to your post. guys this is a bit older unit if i remember correctly im not sure he has the manual for the unit or it doesnt address it.

Did the same thing with the old Sierra insert this summer before I decided to trash it. I used the Homesaver cast iron adapter (anybody want a new $90 adapter cheap?).

I laid a bead of furnace cement on the shroud where the adapter was placed as a gasket and then laid a bead of furnace cement around it after I screwed it down to the sheet metal with small lag bolts.

I had a subsequent event where the firebox cracked and the stove went up to damn near 1,300 degrees, twice after the patch job failed, and that adapter and shroud didn't rip, run, ravel or leak.

Thanks for the help so far; I don't have a manual or web info ('82 conestoga with built-in surround) available, and the boot-to-stove is the final connection made through the removed sandstone opening. I will probably have to cut into my metal fireplace backing to get enough of a straight shot and wonder if hi-temp masonry caulk or furnace cement will be a safe repair(I'm putting 6" olympia flex with 1/2" ins. wrap). My other option is to attempt to ovalize with a vise and pvc pipe halves. thanks again esp. to Mike for pointing me to this great forum.

hey chocolate, how did it turn out? have you gotten the liner hooked up yet? looks to me like furnace cement is the concensus in here. hope you have gotten some peace of mind with the posts from the members. by the way , i should have warned ya , this forum is kinda addictive.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.