1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gasser, about to pull the trigger

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by mustash29, Aug 3, 2013.

1. mustash29

mustash29 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    While I was up on the roof I also ran the brush down the oil flue, which had never been swept. House was built in '96. There was 1/4" of diesel soot in there. A lot of it fell into the Burnham so it got a very thorough cleaning too.

NASTY mess to clean up. We went through 4 bags in the old garrage / car canister vac that we had outside with the hose & a few extension hoses running into the basement window. Time to junk that old vac now, LOL.
    GS7 likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. arbutus

arbutus Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Michigan UP
    Good luck with the chimney height adjustment. I had to do something similar in our old house for a wood stove but we were able to grab on, and push the entire stack up a couple inches and prop a couple of 2x4s underneath then grab on and lower it all back down on the new parts. You will likely need bracing underneath the bottom edge of the stack, or use the support clamps sold for extremely long chimney assemblies and prop that in the air with wood braces while you are swapping things around.
  3. mustash29

mustash29 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    Atmospheric boiler + atmospheric storage = essentially increasing the total boiler water volume.....

I'm not a fan of the build it yourself tanks with the liners in them.

Folks have asked before about using home heating oil tanks. Old ones are cheap, but need a lot of cleaning. New ones could be cost effective. The 330 gal "obround" design would really fit my space requirements well.....but everyone seems to think corrosion is going to be an issue. I sort of have a hard time agreeing with that. The boiler requires treatment chemical, so add enough chemical to treat the total system volume and all should be happy.

Poly tote tanks will not withstand the temperatures, but I found one of these at a rather reasonable price that is close to me:

http://www.hooversolutions.com/350-gallon-ibc.html