1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gassin' on slab wood

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Rory, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Rory

Rory Member

Loc:
    Central Me
    I just bought some slab wood from a pallet manufacturer for $95 a cord, and I have to admit, it has me scratching my head a little over all the work I put into rollin' my own. This is all hardwood, and the vast majority are of a size that I can simply toss in the Tarm. It's quite green now, but it still burns when I mix it with the last of my dry wood. It does seem like a really good fuel for the price for a gasifier.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    lots of bark in a cord of slabs though. bet you have a lot of ash. not saying it's not worth it.. but something to watch.

JP
  3. Fins59

Fins59 Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin - Wausau area
    That's what I've been burning the last two years. Oak. Cut it 24" long. I can pick out my bundles at the mill. Small stuff, big stuff. I get a bundle of small stuff and I got enough kindling for a couple years. Thicker slabs I split with my Swisher. And like you say, most are a good size and can go right in the stove.

Good economical heat. Easy to work with. I have a rack set up so I can cut several 8' pieces at a time at a consistent 24".
    I do woodworking for a hobby and there are some nice project pieces in those slabs.
  4. Chris Hoskin

Chris Hoskin TarmSalesGuy

Loc:
    Lyme, NH
    there is a possibility that this wood will become very dry. If you get super dry wood with lots of surface area like slab wood, you could experience chuffing / puffing. This puffing happens when the boiler is producing more wood gas than it can combust in the secondary. Not trying to steer you away from slab wood at all, just something to be on the look out for.
  5. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    We can buy de-barked slab wood here for $25 a bundle. The bundles are about 3' high 4' wide and 8-10' long. It is super clean wood, no dirt, bugs, or bark.

It has a lot of small stuff that I separate out for starting fires.

gg