GCI60 insert Light #2 Flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

handymanCT

Nov 18, 2011
Southern CT
I must admit that I haven't fired up this stove in at least a year, perhaps 2 since at present heating oil is cheaper than tons of pellets.
But I did buy a few bags of pellets and tried to fire it up after a good cleaning, all I got was the Number 2 Light on the display flashing. I think I read something about a vacuum pressure problem?

Anyone have any ideas on what to look at? I'm an EE and have no problem working on the stove or testing it to see whats wrong.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich welcome to the forums. When you did your cleaning did you clean out the vent/chimney pipe?, combustion blower, passages from the burn pot to combustion blower? Vacuum problems generally start with the combustion blowers ability to move air out of the stove and exhaust it.

Well thanks ssyko - I did clean it good on the inside, pulled all the parts out including the back and the bottom plate where behind it is the draft door. What I didn't do was pull it out of the fireplace and check the stove to chimney connection. I managed to wrestle the beast out far enough to let me get in there and took my hammer and gave the steel plate that the chimney liner is bolted to a few good whacks. This time of year with it being so dry here and cold that usually knocks all the soot right down out of the pipe and since it hasn't been started in awhile I suspected all the loose soot in there would fall down. Well there was quite a bit of soot and ash but one piece was like a ball of it all congealed together, not hard but it looked kinda moist, never saw anything like that before. I vacuumed it all up, put everything back together and fired it up. It blinked the #2 light for about 20 sec then it reset and the #1 light came on and it went into it's start up routine. It started right up and seems to be working fine so far. I'm thinking of hiring a guy to come up and clean the chimney insert just to be safe.
I do know where my manual is, right on my laptop and open in adobe reader :)

Thanks for your help!
Rich

Did you remove and clean good the exhaust blower and its housing? Very easy for that chamber the motor sits into to get fly ash coagulated in there and not let the exh blower turn, it'll sound almost like it is, but I've seen that to be the problem a lot. That blower and the connection housing needs a good cleaning out every season. Good luck with her.....