Generac 22kw generator issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
My neighbor and I both have 22kw generators installed same time. During this last storm outage my neighbors gave an over crank code #1100, no start. Dealer said look for clogged air intake from snow. Well it was clear. I cleared the code, did a manual restart at the generator, ran fine...Shut it down, in auto mode, went to transfer panel , turned that breaker off, generator would not start, just cranked and gave code again.... Any one have any ideas ? Thanks..

Air filter?

As complicated as they are getting, a combination of air, fuel, and spark usually gets it going provided it’s turning over. It’s cranking, so that’s not the issue.

Dealer seems to have experienced air issues with that code, so I’d start with that. An air filter would probably be next in line. Maybe a mud dauber or mouse nest.

I suppose the fuel would be natural gas. There is probably plenty of that and no varnish to deal with.

After that, check spark.

How’d they talk you into 22kw? That’s a heck of a lot of extra capacity for the average house!

They are both propane, and I could smell propane like it was flooded while it cranked., not starting, .the air filter intake and filter itself is OK..The 22kw's was what the dealer could get at that time, November of 2021. Seemed odd that I had it running from the control panel console, but when I flipped the breaker at the transfer switch box it just cranked... I'm a retired small engine mechanic, if it was mine I'd dig deeper, check for spark etc,,...He is going to call for service, so who knows when they will show...I'll post what they find..

So the engine part was running then stopped when load was placed on the generator?

Please let me know what they find!

Not that it is a help in this particular situation, but it reminded me of a recent conversation. Just had my 11K Generac serviced (installed 2017 - yearly maintenance b/c I bought the 10-year warranty for $1000), and I was shooting the breeze with the technician. He told me any Generac 14k and under are good machines. He sees a lot of problems with any Generac above 14k.

Not that it is a help in this particular situation, but it reminded me of a recent conversation. Just had my 11K Generac serviced (installed 2017 - yearly maintenance b/c I bought the 10-year warranty for $1000), and I was shooting the breeze with the technician. He told me any Generac 14k and under are good machines. He sees a lot of problems with any Generac above 14k.
Thats just great. Been getting mailers about extending the warranty.
So the engine part was running then stopped when load was placed on the generator?

Please let me know what they find!

So the red light was on, (outside panel is usually green meaning all OK) , but it was red and an over crank code. I cleared the code, at the generator console, I started the generator on the console ( manual mode) , started up and ran it for 10 minutes, no problem., shut it down, put it in auto mode/ready to run.... Went to the transfer switch at the house, turned it off, which is like a power outage, the generator just cranked would not start, twice it tried...same code 'over crank" . There is no load on the generator until it reaches output mode then the transfer switch kicks in.. .
I'll be sure to post what they find, I definitely want to know myself..

If you extend the warranty, keep in mind, if you ever put in a claim, you will have to have documentation that the prescribed yearly maintenance is performed (oil change, belts, spark plugs, everything measured and recalibrated if necessary, new battery every 4 years, etc.). I have a Generac certified technician from a local company do it. It costs $300 each year (rip off). So, that's $1000 for the 10-year extended warranty (if the price hasn't gone up since 2017) and $3000 for 10 year's maintenance. BTW...the warranty period starts the day of purchase of the generator, NOT when you purchase the extended warranty which most people who buy it, buy it later.

My brother has a Generac whole house (not sure how many k) and he ran it 7 years without maintenance and never even realized you need to check/change the oil. It stopped running. He changed the oil himself, after being told about it, and it has been running another 3 years without a hiccup. Go figure.

BTW...my Generac has never failed me when it needed to run, either. It's just you expect the cost of the generator and installation to be the major cost, and the yearly cost is quite steep, too. However, there is nothing better than hearing that baby kick in about 5 seconds after the power goes out. Talk about a good feeling.

Last edited:
I wonder if there’s some sort of safety spark cutoff that’s getting activated somehow? It seems like it has to be the spark.

Well the yearly battery maintenance code came up a few weeks ago on both generators, to check battery voltage ( which I can check with the app ) water level, connections etc..,which did not affect it being able to run..which I took care of..
Extended warranty for 7 years starting at date of purchase is $815.00
Extended warranty for 10 years starting at date of purchase is $1,035.00
Dealer did send me a maintenance plan offer, see if I can find it..

might even be the computer that runs it or a bad case ground that is what the computer runs with. bad ground will send the computer loopy

why can you not turn the gen on manually and then go flick the transfer switch when the power goes put... at least until its fixed?

This company must have some good lawyers extended warranties cannot start until the factory warranty runs out unless it is covering something that a factory warranty will not cover.. Also they cannot force you to purchase your services from them to maintain the warranty, as long as you can prove you kept up to date with the services. Allot of the time the company will include the services in the warranty package...

I believe the extended warranty actually does cover more than the original, but I am not sure of the difference since it has been a while. Also, I don't believe they require you to use a Generac Certified technician for yearly maintenance. You can use any generator tech as long as he/she follows the yearly maintenance checkup requirements. I think you can do it yourself with documentation. I just use the GCT for maintenance so if anything does happen within the ten-year warranty, I won't have any hassles.

why can you not turn the gen on manually and then go flick the transfer switch when the power goes put... at least until its fixed?

This company must have some good lawyers extended warranties cannot start until the factory warranty runs out unless it is covering something that a factory warranty will not cover.. Also they cannot force you to purchase your services from them to maintain the warranty, as long as you can prove you kept up to date with the services. Allot of the time the company will include the services in the warranty package...
Yes you probably could transfer power manually..If it was mine yes I would do that...It is my neighbors home, they are in Florida for the winter and I was away at the time. My Generac worked fine this last 5 hour outage.

Reactions: clancey
The dealer/installer came to look at it. Ran fine at the generator and started fine at the transfer panel..He saw the over crank code stored multiple times.... He had no answer except the "maybe " due to the winter blizzard storm we had with a massive temp drop and below zero wind chill the propane regulator froze. But does not explain why days later with warmer temps 40 degrees it started from the console but not from the transfer switch... Basically he said will see what happens.. Does not give me great confidence in them..

I have a Generac Guardian that is discontinued and bought it about 10 years ago and once a year I have it checked and cleaned-etc...When the power goes off it's its little hum starts and its a real nice feeling. It's natural gas and seems to be "running just fine" and it exercises once a week. The prices of maintaining it are running really high but for me its a necessary for peace of mind. The most I did was buy two new batteries and a oil fills and everything cleaned with it..Its like a used car and really neat to have around in case of a emergency but "prices are really high"...The installation was over 1800 dollars 10 years ago (gas and electric and staging where it was to be but I love it...clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Over crank code again after reset.. A different service tech looked at it, worked on it longer than the first tech.. He returned later to check on the weekly test run at 8 AM... Told the owners that it "seems" to crank longer than normal, but did start.... I'll update more as I get more info..

I'd think they should be able to get it to fire by flipping the main landline power, correct? Is it turning on correctly then?

I'd think they should be able to get it to fire by flipping the main landline power, correct? Is it turning on correctly then?
After they service it, it starts from both the generator console and from the transfer switch.... Seems to be an intermittent problem..