General Hearth Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstaylor6

Oct 16, 2010
Port Huron, MI
Tried searching for an answer before registering here as to not waste anyone's time but I couldn't find anything so figured I'd register and ask some questions as they come up. The first one being as follows, I was recently given an older wood stove. Not sure of the make/model at the moment. I didn't get home til after dark and it's still in the truck. Regardless, I understand there may be R value issues involved that I'll have to examine once a model number is found. But my main question right now is a very basic one. The plan is to not use the inefficient gas fireplaces that are currently in place to heat half of my home. The area we are looking to heat is an open floor plan with a loft, appx total area 900 sq ft. It all sits on a poured concrete slab. In general would I still need to install a hearth beneath the stove? It will be situated in an area with the minimum clearances of 18" from any combustible sources. I am open to any and all bits of wisdom.

The concrete floor is fine. No additional base needed. I would, however, keep a clearance around the wood stove, of non-combustibles, to avoid fires you DON'T want.

Pictures of the stove in the back of your truck, might help in determining if you are going to have a large enough stove for the area you want to heat.

Better get your wood son.........it's gettin cold out already.

-Soupy1957

Welcome to the forum dstaylor6.

A picture really would be nice and because it is a used stove, make certain that you really give it a good complete check.

Also, as Soupy remarked, getting your wood should be your first priority. Burning wood is not like burning gas or oil. Wood needs time to dry properly and no matter what the wood sellers tell you, 99 out of 100 do not understand what dry wood is. They usually split it just before delivery. That is not going to give you dry wood.

Thanks folks,

I do have a couple face chords of hard wood I cut and split summer/fall of 2009 for my out door fire pit (covered and stacked in the back yard). So at least I have a small start on it. The stove was used in a much larger room so i'm hoping it will do the trick for a year or 2 until I can upgrade. I'll still try to get a picture or at least a model up when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.